Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,560   Posts: 1,545,262   Online: 854

Shooter
    Multi Format

Gitzo 1541T / 1542T for trekking in Nepal with a plate camera?

I'm going trekking in Nepal soon and I'm planning on taking a plate camera that weighs 2kg (Perka 9x12).

My current Manfrotto tripod and head seems far too big and heavy for trekking (2.6kg), and I'm thinking about getting a Gitzo 1541T or 1542T. Is anyone using one of these tripods with a plate camera / other decent sized camera? I have searched for answers on this...found a few similar questions, but not many answers.

Failing that, any other light weight tripod recommendations? Light heads, for that matter too. I looked at a 1541 and a 1542 in a shop today (with the plate camera), quite liked the legs, wasn't so keen on the GH1781 head (for a quick release head, it wasn't very quick, and didn't seem so stable either).

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Look at the Induro tripods - you can get a nice set of carbon fiber legs that will handle that plate camera just fine, for significantly less than the Gitzo. Look at the CT 114 and 214 models to see which one would be robust enough for you. I think the 114 would actually be strong enough, but if you are worried about it, then the 214 is a bit sturdier, and it also extends higher if you need that. Manfrotto makes a nice compact ball head with quick release that would also be adequate for that camera (I don't remember the model number off the top of my head). I have one that I used with my Shen-Hao 4x5 for hiking in the California Sierra, and was perfectly able to handle the 3-4 Kg of the Shen Hao plus lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the tip, I'll look around. The shop I went to just had Manfrotto / Gitzo tripods.

I guessed that other plate camera users opted for a plate camera partly to keep weight down, is anyone using a lightweight tripod with one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wasn't able to find a shop in Seoul where I can check out Induro tripods yet, though there are some available on Korean websites. I'll keep looking.

Err...so what tripods are being used out there with plate cameras?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's quite reasonable to hire a porter to carry your pack, while you tool along with a daypack or less.
    So, within reason, you don't need to be that careful about weight on a Nepal trek. I've gone twice.
    Whatever you are carrying is a better, lighter deal than these porters carry when they work for an expedition, which can be brutal and pay badly too.
    Really, on one trip (three of us walking the Annapurna Circuit) our single porter stacked two backpacks on top of each other and carried them across the Thorong La (18,000 ft), without any shoes on! We had bought him shoes but he just strapped them on the back as well.

Just hire your porter personally, not through a big trekking company. For about the price of a few cups of coffee in the States (not sure of current prices, my last trip was 1997). It's a nice way to help the local economy, and to make a local buddy who can help in many other ways, too.

Just walk around and say "Ek coolie chahencha" (I need one porter)... Then to dicker on price all you need to say is "dhery mahango" (very expensive), slowly and seriously while shaking your head.
    They'll be rolling with laughter, and you'll get a decent deal. I really wouldn't worry about the weight of the tripod...
    Last edited by jscott; 01-26-2012 at 03:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin