Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,918   Posts: 1,521,937   Online: 1103

Shooter
    Large Format

Kodak Process Pan Plates

I have a bunch of glass plates that I will expose soon. 12x Panatomic X, and 12x Kodak Process Pan.
    They are 'new' sealed in box. No idea how old these are but would not be difficult to figure out.

Has anyone here had experience with glass plates?
    Anyone know or have any notes/literature on Kodak Process Pan? I have no idea what to process these plates in.

Thanks,
    Enrico Scotece
    Email me directly at enrico@thinknegative.com.au if you wish.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Try Diafine. You can develop all films and plates for the same times (directions on the box). Diafine is a 2 bath developer. I think you develop for either 3 minutes or 3.5 minutes in each bath. As for the plate speeds, try shooting one plate at ASA=10 and one plate at ASA=100. Those will usually get you a starting point. The slowest glass plates I ever tried were Kodak Metalographic plates, which I found had a speed of about ASA=0.01. Diafine will usually give you good pictorial quality negatives even from high contrast scientific plates.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I either is Rodinal !;100 for an hour or, use print developer and use one to get time right :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Panatomic X on film was EI 25-EI 32 when new, so I would suggest try at EI8 as a starting pont for the panatomic X if old.

Process pan suggesta a graphic arts panatomic type film. I would try exposing it at EI6, since it is likely means for use in a process camera for copying colour materials.

If it is graphic arts oriented than DK-50 can work, as can Dektol 1:3 in a pinch, but then you will get gobs of grain. It would tell you if the stuff is fogged.

Try pulling from the middle of the pack for your first test, unless each is wrapped individually.

The emulsion face facing the wrapping can age differently than those against other film/photo paper/plates.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thank you all for your suggestions. I will be back once tested! Im not hoping for perfection.. after all they are aged. I'm looking forward to the idiosyncrasies and imperfections.
    Diafine I have much experience with (didn't even think to use it!).

until then.
    Enrico

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I looked in my 8th Photo Lab Index (dated 1946). For Kodak Wraten Process Pan plates it lists a tungsten film speed of Weston 24, which translates to ASA 29. No daylight speed is listed.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    1945 Kodak Films handbook shows Wratten Process Pan as Weston 20 or GE 32, but this is from metering white subject. So the film is really four stops slower than that! However, it's a high-contrast film, thus "process" in the name. Developers are D-11 for 5 minutes. For "high" contrast, D-8 (2:1) for 2 minutes! (D-11 and D-8 are high-contrast developers that make D-19 look like a wimp.)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin