Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,898   Posts: 1,584,362   Online: 748

Shooter
    Multi Format

Dry plate holders compatible with Deardorff?

Hi, I was looking at plate holders, and there are a lot for sale usually made by Century, Premo, etc. Would any of these fit a Deardorff 8x10? Or what would be the best way to use dry plates with that camera? What is the distance to the focus plane supposed to be so I can make sure it focuses accurately?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's not just the plane of focus you need to worry about. Some early dry plate holders (I have 5x7 Premo holders) have slightly larger outside dimensions than standard film holders. This screws me in two ways;

1) I can't use them in a newer camera as they are too large

and

2) Standard film holders are too small to fit properly in my 5X7 Cycle Poco #3 (I get some really nasty light leaks)

Of course your mileage may vary, but I'd try and find convertible holders (they have a removable sheath that holds film, but they can also use plates when the sheath is removed). As always. caveat emptor.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    On the old golden-brown wooden plate holders, the plane of focus is brand-specific. Now, there were later black painted wood ones which were standardized.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin