Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,519   Posts: 1,543,779   Online: 851

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Glass negs

Shooter
    Large Format
    There were speed ratings as far back as the '90's...and not the 1990's either. I still use Ortho film mostly in large format. I used to use super plenechrome press and super speed ortho, super speed ortho was rated at about 125. BUT, in the lovely little papers that came with it it gave all the modifiers for filters timr of day, and time of year. 125 speed was for a bright sunny day, between 10:00am and 3:00pm, in the summertime. Shooting snow scenes early or late day could slow down to asa 10.
    Quote Originally Posted by dwross View Post
    Oh, heavens, no. At the 45th parallel, this recipe

http://www.thelightfarm.com/cgi-bin/...tent=30Dec2011

gets 6 to 40, depending on time of year and time of day, and to a lesser extent, altitude. (It is impossible to place a single ISO number on anything but panchromatic films. If you read otherwise, this is a red flag to suspect the experience of the source.)

d

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for posting that info. Very interesting! It tracks perfectly with my latest experiences. When I posted "6 to 40", I hadn't stumbled on salt-into-silver precipitation ("normal" historic emulsion making has it as silver-into-salt). That's made a Universe of difference in speed. The take home message for me is that all the limitations we think (or have been told) exist to making our own materials are probably wrong. Dream it; make it (only caveat: still a lot of work.)
    www.thelightfarm.com
    Dedicated to Handmade Silver Gelatin Paper, Film, and Dry Plates.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    Regarding (wetplate) collodion, why exactly does one have to shoot immediately? What if you vacuum sealed it on the spot while coating? Curious if it'd be possible to make collodion plates that you could, you know, unwrap and use on the fly.
    They are no longer light sensitive when they are dry. Any previously exposed latent image disappears if the plate dries out.

The collodion is like a thin coating of syrup with a thin film and nothing can be in contact with it or it will impact the image.

There was an old technique of covering a sensitised plate with honey to stop it evaporating.
    This honey process meant that the plate could be transported for several days.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin