Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,972   Posts: 1,558,686   Online: 897

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I went into one of hte big stores here in Rochester, walking distance from where the film is made by Kodak, and there were only 4 rolls of film on display. There were 4 rolls of Kodak 400 speed B&W, I forget which one there and nothing else. They said that it was moving so poorly that the only got it special order.

Oh well.

PE
    When I lived in Santa Fe, the three camera stores in town all carried a full range of film, including Ilford Pan F. They carried a full range of black and white, color neg, and transparency films in 35mm and 120 and a smaller range in 4x5. I worked at one of the stores for a while and we sold a LOT of film, especially black and white.

I'm back in Indiana now. My hometown is a midsized city...250,000 people, and the one store in town still carries a full range of Kodak black and white film, but has stopped selling Ilford and Fuji black and white. They still sell Fuji color films. I think the colleges here keep the BW sales high.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For the record, We have started these sales because the last "real" camera store closed last December. Since then, it has been near impossible to find Chrome even in 35mm. Medium format (anything) is harder than that and no one in town carried 4x5 (anything). We felt somebody in town needs to, so here we are. As well, we are the only ones processing all of the above in house. I think it is vital we stay that way. We aren't going to make a killing on sales by any means, but if it promotes the use, we want to be the ones doing it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtO View Post
    When will you be adding film prices and ordering info to your website?
    Sorry, I missed this earlier somehow. Right now we are re-tooling the main web site, it is up and has most info but not the retail. So for the time being, I have it posted on our Flickr account at: http://www.flickr.com/people/fototechnika/

Thank You for the interest,

Jody

Shooter
    35mm
    Educate your clientel. Slow films are good. Also, talk about films by speed, not PAN. It is confusing. Why don't you give the new Kodak emulsions a try? Everyone is talking about them on the internet. Tmax 400-2 for example. Surely that information is seeping into folk's brains and they might like to give the new film a try. It seems to me that you are really going out on a limb by stocking so much of the East European films. Or maybe not. You will be the only people stocking those for miles around.

Personally, I buy American. I can't be alone. Can I? If Kodak made paper I would buy that too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You should probably look up panchromatic and orthochromatic to clear up some confusion.

Panchromatic emulsions are sensitive to blue, green, and red light. Panchromatic films are historically speaking a newer development than orthochromatic films.

Orthochromatic emulsions have no, or very low, sensitivity to red light, recording well in blue and green. They were developed before panchromatic films.

You can have panchromatic or orthochromatic films at a wide range of film speeds, so speaking as if "Pan" is a clear reference to slower films is confusing.

Delta 3200, TMZ-3200, HP5+, Tri-X, TXP, and nearly all medium and high speed films are panchromatic.

Lee
    Last edited by Lee L; 12-12-2008 at 06:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Venchka, We may move in that direction at some point, but as it is, we are stocking Fuji for color. We can't stretch ourselves out to thin at the moment, it has only been a few weeks since we started this. Trying to expand color is a little more difficult than the B&W. We are however expanding the B&W side of things because it has more of a demand around here. There are 6 colleges in Jacksonville and surrounding area that still offer film based photography classes. Students like to be different (Rollei, Adox) and cheap (Foma, Arista, I'm not critizing, literally less expensive) and have asked for it. We also have been asked for Fuji Neopan Acros 100 4x5 quick loads which are on the way. Kodak B&W at the moment will have to hold at Tri-x and Plus-x, they are old stand bys and we are happy to offer them.

Jody

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L View Post

Delta 3200, TMZ-3200, HP5+, Tri-X, TXP, and nearly all medium and high speed films are panchromatic.

Lee
    Lee, I understand and sorry to all for the confusion. Basically I forgot to Put the "F" in the original post. As in a typo and was referring to alike films as Ilford Pan F when I suggested not purchasing more of these films. I am sorry for the confusion, I am just trying to find what will be best suited for servicing the ones that are most likely to purchase from us.

Thank You,
    Jody

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jerk151 View Post
    Lee, I understand and sorry to all for the confusion. Basically I forgot to Put the "F" in the original post. As in a typo and was referring to alike films as Ilford Pan F when I suggested not purchasing more of these films. I am sorry for the confusion, I am just trying to find what will be best suited for servicing the ones that are most likely to purchase from us.

Thank You,
    Jody
    OK. I just thought I saw that reference carrying on past that being mentioned. Sorry if I dragged that out.

With the demise of Panatomic-X and Agfa 25, I'd think that Pan-F+ would be the strongest seller at that end of the speed range. I have used, and really liked results from Efke 25, but you might find good sales staff and some good sample prints would help to sell it to a general audience, although students generally like to experiment and try new things, at least up until about two days before the project's due. You might want to stock and promote some developers that do really well with the slow films, and offer them with suggested development times for your customers. Dilute Rodinal with these slow films can be remarkable. As was mentioned earlier, educating your customers can create a market, and sales.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I find it interesting that Pan F is selling in Manitoba in the winter, whereas it isn't selling in Florida in the winter.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My wife, who is a Jacksonville native, and I will be relocating there when I retire in several (read when I can afford to ) years. I'm thrilled beyond description that you even exist now that so many others have closed. When I get there, I'll haunt your store like one of Scrooge's business partners. You go guys!!!
    John Voss

My Blog

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin