Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,288   Posts: 1,535,360   Online: 770

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Doug - Hi again, what alt chemicals are you using to repel the little "nasties?" I'll get some! - it does look like I'm doing a decent good job keeping them out, since the attack!! - at least the darkroom part of the building is pretty tightly sealed. It's a lot of work, no doubt. The coating on the other bellows' seems to be more (for lack of a better term) "rubberized?" I was terrified that they would get my enlarger, my Crown Graphics or my auto-bellows too - I made sure everything is covered and/or wrapped in plastic now.

Greetings, Paul - I am in Jacksonville. I am not used to roaches either and these down here are the size of Texas and they do fly!!!! The studio part of the building has a loft type ceiling/roof with lots of light coming in and that is the area that really needs work to seal it up. I probably should enclose it with a low ceiling but as I am also a painter I would lose that incredible light - oh, for shame! Thank you so much for the tips and I was going to buy a cheapie hygrometer so I greatly appreciate the link.

Does anyone know how much a lens can endure before it gets fungus rot? I am not a highly technical person and I want to protect my camera lenses and microscopes too!

Shooter
    Large Format
    The most accurate yet low price hygrometer I could find is at a Cigar Supply store

As far as chemicals, I wouldn't recommend what I have unless you plan on getting into alt processes (everything from citric acid to potassium dichromate). I suspect dust & fumes from when I open/mix chemicals is creating an unhealthy environment for roaches. Straight alcohol in sprayer seems to knock out the bugs that I see.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by VaryaV View Post
    Does anyone know how much a lens can endure before it gets fungus rot? I am not a highly technical person and I want to protect my camera lenses and microscopes too!
    Not much. Again, at temperatures over 80F and humidity over 50%, it doesn't take long for fungus to begin to attack the glass. If you catch it early, you may be able to have it cleaned fairly successfully. But once it etches the glass, there's nothing you can do. I lost some nice lenses to fungus before I got my dehumidifier.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by eddym View Post
    Not much. Again, at temperatures over 80F and humidity over 50%, it doesn't take long for fungus to begin to attack the glass. If you catch it early, you may be able to have it cleaned fairly successfully. But once it etches the glass, there's nothing you can do. I lost some nice lenses to fungus before I got my dehumidifier.
    Ummmmm.....don't tell that to all the lenses sitting in this coastal Florida house for 49 years. From a 1944 Leica to a 1950's Rollei to cheap cameras to mid-level SLR lenses. I've never seen it.

Fungus attacks, if it does at all, the glue between the elements. I think manufacturers have had that licked for years. I don't know how they do it, but I know that a wee bit of mercury will stop fungus cold. That's how they used to stop paint from mildewing back when.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by doughowk View Post
    The most accurate yet low price hygrometer I could find is at a Cigar Supply store
    No digital hygrometer will be spot on accurate according to what I've read. And they have a limited life.

The $9 one I listed will be effectively the same "good enough" accuracy. RH +/- 5% isn't a huge swing unless you are doing science. Humidors are best at 60-70%, it's not critical, so the company making such a thing doesn't need scientific accuracy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin