Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,554   Posts: 1,573,142   Online: 793

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

25 June 2006 Photo Trip

Those present at our last outing - 21 May 2006 at Prallsville Mills in Stockton - set our next outing for 25 June alonf the Delaware River. I haven't had a chance to get up there to do any scouting yet, having to concentrate on opening my new studio, but the trip is on as far as I am concerned.

Let's get some ideas together so we have a plan. The Old Mine Road is a gold mine for photography. Our only limit is how far and how long we want to travel on this historical road. Let me know what your thoughts are as far as meeting place and time and what our agenda should be.

James
    [COLOR=Magenta][FONT=Arial Black]Photography is a reflection of one moment in our lives...[/FONT][/COLOR]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here's something I just came across while doing some online research of the area that we may visit. Take a look; there may be something of interest here. A few tyhings have come and gone; I will just have to remember to look at this earlier next year.

http://www.petersvalley.org/200620Wo...kshop_sche.htm

James
    [COLOR=Magenta][FONT=Arial Black]Photography is a reflection of one moment in our lives...[/FONT][/COLOR]

JJC

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi James,

I recall a place called Millbrook Village just off of the old mine road. I was there a few years ago and it had some nice photo potential. Here is a link:
    http://www.nps.gov/dewa/InDepth/Sites/MV.html
    It has a mill with an external wheel and various old buildings.

It was early fall when I was there and the mosquitoes were a nuisance - I don't know how they would be this time of year, so be aware.

I hope you and Robert had a good time checking out Mount Holly locations.

John
    "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." - Jim Horning

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Perhaps you should check out the Paulinskill Viaduct as well. A very impressive piece of engineering history. Here's some shots that I took there two years ago, on a blustery Feb afternoon (Note: do NOT climb the bridge in the wind, it made for some scary moments. Also, be careful of manholes w/o covers.)

On that trip, I captured what I believe would have been some of the best waterfall photos I could have possibly gotten (Waterfall streaming down massive icicles). However, its VERY hard to capture a photo when you forgot to load film back into the camera .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OK, folks, it's decision time...

Please let me know who will be attending our get-together on Sunday, 25 June. Unless I get feedback to the contrary, we should meet at Millbrook Village sometime between 9 and 10 in the morning. Earlier is fine with me, but I want to allow some reasonable time for those who are traveling a distance. Here is some information on the location:
    At the junction of Old Mine Road and Route 602 in New Jersey, 12 miles north of Interstate 80 at Exit 1 westbound. (Eastbound, exit at first ramp after the toll plaza and turn hard right)

Check out this info so you can get an idea on how to get there.

As always, out get-togethers are open to all film formats. Althgough many of us will be shooting large formats, feel free to bring the Hassys and the 35mm's.

Again, let me know who will be attending thrpough a PM or e-mail (jgphotography@att.net). In the event of rain, it is your call if you want to show up. I know if it is raining heavily that day, I will probably not be there. A little rain is OK; I may just shoot medium format instead of larfe format though. If you have other ideas, please share. Also, feel free to bring any handouts or your portfolio to show.

James

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Getting close...

Four photographers confirmed so far: Flauvius, JJC, James, and Bob (James's friend who is not an APUGer). We will have to keep an eye on the weather, but it should be OK. Meet at Millbrook Village at 10 am.

Anyone else? let me know.

Bring water and any other comforts you may want. Other locations close by too.

James

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bingo! I'm there.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo
    Bingo! I'm there.

Great new, John. There really is a lot in the area. Check out the pics of the viaduct above. Then there's Peters Valley Craft Center too. The Water Gap is a great view from both sides - PA611 runs along the Pennsy side and there are great views. Lots to do and see. You may want to bring your MF gear too besides your view camera.

Just waiting to hear from others...

James

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rain, rain, and more rain...

And so is the forecast for tomorrow, Sunday, 25 June. The forecast is for scattered showers throughout the day. I may head up to Millbrook Village anyway with my Hasselblad to see if anything is doing. Everyone will have to decide for themselves if it is worth the trip. If you are there, I should see you in the parking light at 10 a.m. The good thing is that if it isn't raining all the time, there won't be the harsh sunlight to hinder good photography.

Anyhow...

James

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It wasn't a total washout...

I went to Millbrook Village with Bob Monroe, a friend of mine, and did manage to get some photos with my Hasselblad. It was raining on and off, mostly on, and at times was heavy. Fortunately, some of the buildings did have porches and we were able to set up there and take some good photos. We can reschedule another trip there, possibly in the fall.

I did take one photo with my D-camera and will post it as soon as I go through last week's photos.

Any ideas for a July excursion? I'm open for ideas.

James

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin