Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,817   Posts: 1,581,641   Online: 759

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Jersey is Burning

I'm watching the News on the huge fire that is burning in New Jersey. Unbelievable! I'm about 140 miles North of the fire and this season has been far from dry. It has rained regularly this Spring and destructive flooding has been more of a problem than a drought. I suppose that all of those Pine Trees are powerful fuel.

Of course My first concern is with the lives and property of the residents, especially the many retirement villages and nursing homes located in that area but I have enjoyed bicycling through the Pine Barrens and nearby areas and camped at Bass River and am sorry to see this unique and scenic area being destroyed. For those that may not be familiar with the area, most of New Jersey is completely different from the stereotype of Northeast NJ and the Turnpike corridor.

I hope that everyone is safe and that this fire is contained quickly.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I heard this on the radio on the way to work - it was 10% contained then, it's about 30% contained now. Hopefully the thunderstorms forecast for the afternoon might help, but lightning could start new fires also. The land is so dry even though it has rained quite a bit.

The news is that an F16 from the NJ National Guards dropped a flare which started all this.

Here's hoping that the fire is contained quickly. These are some of the best preserved forests in Jersey. It's so sad to see these go up in flames - another instance of a man-made disaster.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I saw the report on CNN's website. Yes, apparently a flare dropped by a military jet doing bombing practice set it off.

Although it was a wet April - May has been fairly dry so far - and we've had some high winds. Not good. But it sure is sticky outside in NYC this PM so those T-storms may be starting soon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I live in Philadelphia and I can attest to the fact that winds were extremely high yesterday. I'm looking out my window at rain clouds, hopefully the rain will help containment efforts.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I hate to see the Garden State afire. When I have visited I have always been impressed with the lush growth.

Those of us in Southern California and the rest of the west are fearing the summer since we had only 2-3 inches of rain over the past year. I am afraid the predictions of a very fiery summer may be correct.

What have we done to this planet? When are we going to stop pouring harmful materials into our atmosphere? When will the people of the U.S., and especially the elected officials realize that we are on the verge of causing the extinction of our way of life?
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Images
    It just finished dumping buckets here.
    I hope that the fire area gets more and for a longer time.
    Last edited by Flotsam; 05-16-2007 at 06:09 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They said in the news that the fire lines seem to be holding so far. Also, they are hoping that the six lanes of the GSP (Garden State Parkway, for those not familiar) will help protect Little Egg Harbor township; if the fire jumps the GSP, then it will be a major problem evacuating that township.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Here in NYC we had a major T-storm dump come through around 4PM. After a break it's been raining steadily again since about 6PM.

Hopefully they're getting similar wet weather down in South Jersey and anyway, the humid air should help retard the fire's progress and give the firefighters the upper hand.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sensanjay View Post
    They said in the news that the fire lines seem to be holding so far. Also, they are hoping that the six lanes of the GSP (Garden State Parkway, for those not familiar) will help protect Little Egg Harbor township; if the fire jumps the GSP, then it will be a major problem evacuating that township.
    Yeah, they've been lighting backfires along the GSP. If the fire jumps East it'll be very bad. So far, property damage has been light compared to the many terrible natural disasters that have hit all over the country, coast to coast recently. I hope that Mother Nature lends a hand.
    =Neal W.=

Images
    Was it last year that an F16 on training maneuvers sprayed an Elementary School in that area with machine gun fire?
    =Neal W.=

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin