Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,959   Posts: 1,523,043   Online: 1213

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Monthly Shooting Assignment: January/February 2013 "Unusual Shapes"

Quote Originally Posted by edcculus View Post
    This is my first submission to the MSA. This is a tree I came upon on a walk in a local park. I'm calling it Old Man Willow. Although its not a willow tree, it looks a lot how Tolkien describes the roots of the great tree that swallows up the hobbits in Bombadil's Forest.

I finished the print on this picture a few days ago and scanned it in. Basically a straight scan other than getting the levels correct and applying Unsharp Masking in Photoshop. I still have a bit of work with getting the sky burned in better, but I'm fairly pleased so far. Hope you enjoy.

Nikon F2/HP5+
    Printed 8X10 on Ilford Multigrade RC

Old Man Willow.
    I like this, if you crop it square and follow the line of the larger vine on the right to eliminate the sky it would look like stone snakes or something, very cool

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Now to give this thing a go…

Both of the images below were shot on Holga 400, f/22 at 1/200 sec in my Zeiss Ikon Nettar 517/16. The negatives were printed on Fomaspeed Variant 311 at 4¾" square and scanned using the office multifunction flatbed at 600dpi.

Springtime in Winter

Stepping Lightly

Funky angles mean funky contortions.
    Henry C. Gernhardt, III

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Heh! Nice work, Henry!
    Cheers
    Noons (Nuno Souto)
    Gallery here

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    edcculus: Really nifty image! Nice work...
    " Practicing the arts...is a way to make your soul grow." Kurt Vonnegut

Shooter
    Medium Format

Another Go

Same film and paper as before, different day. If I recall correctly, I shot this one at 1/200 set to f/11. I didn't take notes. It was slightly cloudy, I was compensating for a dark subject, and I don't own a light meter. Sunny sixteen rule all the way, baby. The street sign is a bit dodgy.

Town Line
    Henry C. Gernhardt, III

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Less than one week to go, folks.
    Let's have some more up there in the galleries!
    Cheers
    from Sydney Australia

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry for the late post, folks. My PC imploded in early Feb and it's taken me a while to get everything back working on a new mobo, as well as update all the drivers for scanners and other gear from the XPPro version to the Win7Pro one...

Anyways, almost back to normal now, only one or two pieces of software left to install.

Was hoping for a few more entrants but the ones we got are enough to give me trouble picking a winner, so let me get started in finding who is running the next assignment.

edcculus: first time entry, but that Old Man Willow shot is fantastic! A slight change of the crop as suggested by StoneNYC would likely push it even higher. I spend a lot of time in a local reserve and the number of weird natural shapes I see there always surprises me!

hgernhardt: lovely set of shots. I really wonder what that metallic thing in Springtime in Winter is? Farm implement/attachment? Intriguing angle and image! If you can't see Henry's thumbnails, click on their area and the Flickr image will show.

Bertus: love those factory shots. As a kid I lived once near a clay factory, complete with huge brick-wall ovens that looked very much like those buildings. We used to go inside the ovens and play - when they were not operating, of course! It was our "mines of Moria" setting. Your images sprung up all those memories!

Barbara Ann: lovely set of shots. The fern is just one of those weird adaptations, isn't it? And that soccer ball is incredibly nice and it nearly took out the assignment! It is indeed a very unusual sight and a hard shot to get in colour!

StoneNYC: only one shot, but it's a cracker! Love that building, and the range of colours and shapes.
    Would love to give the original a spin in my scanners to get rid of that Kodachrome colour cast. But as is, it is indeed a great shot and bang on the theme.

So, I have to pick a winner... Hard task, indeed!

Old Man Willow, the soccer ball, the weird building, the factory, the farm thing, they all are great shots!

But the rules say one has to be given a go, so, StoneNYC - your weird building gets it:

good luck picking a subject for the next assignment and picking a winner as well!

Roll-on, March-April assignment!

This was one of the hardest to pick a winner. Thanks heaps to all who got entries in, you are all winners in my mind!
    Last edited by nsouto; 03-03-2013 at 01:06 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Cheers
    Noons (Nuno Souto)
    Gallery here

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Hey guys... are there any rules for me as the winner? I don't want to pick something I"m not allowed to pick (because I'm tempted to pick nudes as the subject) LOL

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Also I just wanted to say thanks to the OP/Judge, I'm super excited as some of those images were pretty darn cool and I never win anything so I'm happy haha. (PS in the sticky from 2009 it says the winner got a roll of Velvia 50... I want some!!) haha I'm kidding of course (or am I?)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good choice Noons, congratulations StoneNYC!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin