Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,960   Posts: 1,523,118   Online: 962

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Monthly Shooting Assignment: March/April 2013 "B&W Nudes & Bodyscapes"

Hey everyone!

I thought and thought, at first I wanted to think of something really unique and challenging and something that would really clever and "artistic" and make me look like I'm such a professional ... but I wanted something anyone has the capability of doing sometime within the timeframe and if I said mountains or streams etc, not everyone can get out there at that time, BUT...

As some of you know, I shoot a lot of nude work, so I decided I'd like to see other's styles of nude work, however in order to include everyone, I decided to make it Bodyscapes, this means your image does not have to be nude, it of course can be a nude, but I want them to all be in B&W, no color images, no toned images, pure B&W, the only thing I'll accept besides a B&W negative is something like a paper negative or wet plate or B&W Polaroid, but again, no additional toning except what is normal for that type of process.

I chose this because we are all people, if you don't have any nude work at all, you can set up a tripod and a timer/cable and shoot yourself, again, full nudes not required, so don't be so shy no excuses!!

Can the forum owner please let me know if I've done any of this wrong? I've never done this before.

I'll be posting a couple to get everyone "in the mood" and then will sit back and watch the proceedings! - (Taken from the previous poster and quotes addd, thought it was a haha sentence and fitting to this new assignment).

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    And a few examples...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GAF-Ilfsol3-Epson-3200-E007.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	372.0 KB 
ID:	65072Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TIP-Integral-800015.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	380.4 KB 
ID:	65073Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TIP-Integral-800014.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	450.5 KB 
ID:	65074Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PanF-Rodinal50at100-3200010.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	372.5 KB 
ID:	65075Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plusx-ilfsol3-2400-KN008.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	402.5 KB 
ID:	65076

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You are indeed a brave soul, mon ami...

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    You are indeed a brave soul, mon ami...

Ken
    I hope Sly submits I seriously do, she has beautiful work. Also, Ironically in the LF forum the nude thread has the biggest posts and it's very active with no one complaining, I guess it's automatically more artistic and more accepted if you shoot nudes in large format for some reason

Also, Ken, you better submit something!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Also, Ken, you better submit something!
    Playing sports at any level, one of the first things you are coached to do is to learn to identify your strengths, then play to those strengths and away from your weaknesses. If you can shoot free throws, then make sure you are holding the ball at the end of the game. If you can't, then make sure you give it to someone else who can.

For this MSA theme any rational coach is going to want to keep the ball out of my hands. In fact, he's likely going to pull me out of the game...

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Playing sports at any level, one of the first things you are coached to do is to learn to identify your strengths, then play to those strengths and away from your weaknesses. If you can shoot free throws, then make sure you are holding the ball at the end of the game. If you can't, then make sure you give it to someone else who can.

For this MSA theme any rational coach is going to want to keep the ball out of my hands. In fact, he's likely going to pull me out of the game...

Ken
    The point is to challenge to improve and to learn, all of which can be done with other people's images, if you notice my last example is a model mimicking the book behind her (however somehow looking through the reverse image I faced her the wrong way looking at the book rather than mimicking the direction of the look of the original piece of art. HOWEVER it's still a humble image with no sex or perversion, to me at least it's not even an NSFW image, so if someone wants to submit an image of someone's back and elbow, that's still technically a nude/bodyscapes and would be perfectly acceptable.

Anyway I hope SOMEONE posts or I will be really sad.

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I won't be participating.

The restrictions (only B & W, no toning, etc.) aren't consistent with how these have always been run, and the specification of genre rather than theme doesn't appeal to me.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I won't be participating.

The restrictions (only B & W, no toning, etc.) aren't consistent with how these have always been run, and the specification of genre rather than theme doesn't appeal to me.
    I did ask if this was how it's done, I've only been part of two of these, I just assumed you make up a challenging task and then say GO, I even asked to be contacted if I did it wrong...

Ok umm can I lift the "Restrictions"? I really am working off of little info, there really should be more instructions for judges as I don't know what I'm doing here...

Ugh, ok SKIN is the theme, how about that? After Trying to figure out what the difference between a genre and theme was, I've discovered the only difference is that a theme is abstract sounding... So there you go... SKIN

sorry I'm not mad just frustrated as I wanted this to be fun not disappointing to people... :/

Maybe the Moderators can delete this and let me start over or something?

~Stone

The Important Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd support "Skin"
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

OK it's official, MSA is now "SKIN"

MOD's can you somehow fix this?

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin