Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,358   Online: 818

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Monthly Shooting Assignment- July/August: The Color of Night

Here's my thought on this - shoot color, anytime between twilight and dawn. Play with street lighting, neon, car headlights and tail-lights. Explore time through the miracle of reciprocity compensation. Don't be afraid to get FUNKY with this - you can go for realistic or distorted color from mismatch of film color temperature to lighting source. All that matters is that it works. I don't care if your image is color negative, color transparency, print or straight scan. Just go out and explore the color of night. MULTIPLE entries are more than welcome, as I want to see people thinking creatively. Here's a teaser to get you started with food for thought:

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Sweet!! So, can I use the shot from July 3rd of a 3 minute dusk exposure? Since it was taken in July? Hehe...

I like this one! Excited!

However as someone pointed out to me, you can't limit the medium, so I'm curious to submit a B&W "color of night" photo

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'd consider it if it was a hand-colored b/w image You can submit anything you like, but submitting a b/w image to a color themed contest would be like trying to cross pollinate a banana with broccoli ultimately not very successful.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You mean like this?

You want multiple entries? I have sooooo many to choose from if we're allowed to dip into back-catalogues How about a night in Terelj National Park, Mongolia?

6x7 Provia, f/8, 20 minutes. Light on the rocks is the full moon rising behind me; foreground orange light is tungsten.

I actually have a metre-high print of this on my dining room wall, part of a triptych.

Shooter
    35mm
    Here is another urban night spot/pub from across the pond to complement the OP image. I'm new to film and this is from my first roll of Fuji Pro 160; trying each negative offering on the market just to know what I like, and why.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Color?! Nighttime?! Madness!

So very, very outside my comfort zone. I love/hate it.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Based on the distance of the movement of the stars, I would guess this were more like 40 minutes not 20... are you sure?

Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    You mean like this?

You want multiple entries? I have sooooo many to choose from if we're allowed to dip into back-catalogues How about a night in Terelj National Park, Mongolia?

6x7 Provia, f/8, 20 minutes. Light on the rocks is the full moon rising behind me; foreground orange light is tungsten.

I actually have a metre-high print of this on my dining room wall, part of a triptych.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ignatiu5 View Post

HAHA isn't that the point, to challenge ourselves?

I think we really aren't supposed to dip into our archives, the point is to try and be inventive NOW not later...

I could be wrong.. OP what's your ruling?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The goal is to go out and TAKE NEW IMAGES. That's why it's an assignment! Obviously, if you don't tell me it's new, I can't prove you wrong, unless you do something utterly stupid like post a night shot with snow in it that was taken in the northern hemisphere anywhere below the Arctic Circle. So no subarctic color night photos with snow in them, ok?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ignatiu5 View Post

That was the point - I wanted to push people's comfort zones, make them get out and try something new and different that they may not have ever tried before. I'm more than happy to have a discussion in this thread on HOW to do this if folks want advice or need help. Color actually makes night easier, because color (neg films, anyway) requires less reciprocity compensation. From a meter-indicated 1 second to a meter indicated 30 seconds, add one stop. Longer than 30, add two. Get out there and shoot!

The other option for the thread would have been the other specialty I'm known for, male nudes. But I figured I would have gotten two or three entries, and probably from just one to two people. Especially since it would be asking folks to shoot new images for the assignment. It's tough to coordinate a shoot like that.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin