Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,692   Posts: 1,548,953   Online: 797

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I get it that life gets in the way. Still a few days left, a bit of extra time may manifest. If not, hope you post some of your Efke photos whenever they're ready.

He looks like a cool dude, but definitely not my dream......

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    I get it that life gets in the way. Still a few days left, a bit of extra time may manifest. If not, hope you post some of your Efke photos whenever they're ready.

He looks like a cool dude, but definitely not my dream......
    He's a Seattle-ite... Very beatnick looking

I'll get the EFKE don't but I really wanted to submit the color IR shot

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    I'm still waiting for Stone's entry. I dreamt about it last night, and can still see the photo my sub-conscious ascribed to him. C'mon Stone! Am I psychic?
    Me too! Ever since Polyglot mentioned this assignment would be good for IR, I've been wondering about it. I've never shot IR so I don't know why noon would be good. I'm really curious now, and I want to know if some of the neat-looking IR photos I've seen were shot at mid-day.

Stone, I hope you will post the E-6 IR even if it isn't ready in time for the contest. I think the MSA is more than just the contest part.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NedL View Post
    Me too! Ever since Polyglot mentioned this assignment would be good for IR, I've been wondering about it. I've never shot IR so I don't know why noon would be good. I'm really curious now, and I want to know if some of the neat-looking IR photos I've seen were shot at mid-day.

Stone, I hope you will post the E-6 IR even if it isn't ready in time for the contest. I think the MSA is more than just the contest part.
    Ok here's one from January 2013 shot on IR at noon... The proof of time is part of the image.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382917415.645274.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	163.1 KB 
ID:	76124

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NedL View Post
    It works well because there's plenty of light (IR films tend not to be very sensitive, I shoot IR820 at EI1 = f/16 1s in full sun including the R72 filter) and for some reason you don't seem to get the horrible starkness of shadow that you do with shorter wavelengths, so it's not as bad for downsides at noon as a normal film. Obviously it can work really well with evening light too, but that's harder to estimate exposure for.

Some examples shot around noon, not in-month: new growth, private bay, big lake (only a week early!), lake near Peggy's Cove (again), cabot trail, Terelj, Terelj Fence, moonscape.

And in evening light, showing that that's good too, but not dramatically better than at noon. So if you're wandering around in the noonday heat thinking "damn this light sucks, what a waste of my travel", bust out the IR film.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    It works well because there's plenty of light (IR films tend not to be very sensitive, I shoot IR820 at EI1 = f/16 1s in full sun including the R72 filter) and for some reason you don't seem to get the horrible starkness of shadow that you do with shorter wavelengths, so it's not as bad for downsides at noon as a normal film. Obviously it can work really well with evening light too, but that's harder to estimate exposure for.

Some examples shot around noon, not in-month: new growth, private bay, big lake (only a week early!), lake near Peggy's Cove (again), cabot trail, Terelj, Terelj Fence, moonscape.

And in evening light, showing that that's good too, but not dramatically better than at noon. So if you're wandering around in the noonday heat thinking "damn this light sucks, what a waste of my travel", bust out the IR film.
    Wow, what the heck am I doing wrong?

I can't seem to get anything like this, everything I shoot is over exposed and I'm using the proper filter B+W brand so it's not junk.

Is the Rollei just not capable of getting that because it's only in the 700's?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Dunno. What exposure are you using? How are you metering? Which exact filter do you use, i.e. what wavelength? (Mine is a generic uncoated-glass Chinese R72 clone, i.e. 720nm cutoff)

If it's always overexposed, did you, um, try exposing less?

The IR820 is definitely better (more Woods Effect) than the Rollei in side-by-side comparisons, but I've seen decent results from the Rollei on flickr too. And certainly I'm hoping the Rollei isn't toooo bad, since I bought 200' of it in 70mm to use once my little stash of 120 IR820 runs out (4 rolls left). Happily I have about 370 sheets of 4x5 too

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This was shot using a Hoya R72 and the Rollei: http://www.apug.org/gallery1/showima...imageuser=6479

See the notes and comments.

I think the trick is that you cannot of course meter for the IR, so you are essentially metering for the visible light, filtering it all out, and then guessing how much IR accompanies the visible light. So as guessing is involved, I recommend bracketing.

This shot is in keeping with the MSA theme, but shot a long time ago. There is another one from the same roll in my gallery.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails forest01d.jpg  
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Those are exquisite. That island out in the distance in "private bay" is like some kind of dream, and so many of those skies have wonderful character even without clouds. I'm stunned by these. I love the way foliage seems to come alive in IR. There is something subtle and appealing about the evening light one, but I sure see what you mean!

Stone's and Matt's examples have lighter skies, which is interesting to think about. Thank you very much for sharing these!
    Last edited by NedL; 10-28-2013 at 12:16 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Nice IR examples, thanks for sharing. I like Latrigg Dam (= in evening light) best.
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin