Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,286   Posts: 1,535,271   Online: 874

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Hmm I have the B+W #92, it's a 650 cutoff but says passes 50% from 650-700 and 90% from 730-2000

The next step up is a #93 but it starts at 1% at 800 so 800 is beyond the Rollei as far as I understand?

Did I get the wrong version? I know people use the R72 but I don't like the Hoya filters and thought the B+W 92 was the same filter?

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Hmm I have the B+W #92, it's a 650 cutoff but says passes 50% from 650-700 and 90% from 730-2000

The next step up is a #93 but it starts at 1% at 800 so 800 is beyond the Rollei as far as I understand?

Did I get the wrong version? I know people use the R72 but I don't like the Hoya filters and thought the B+W 92 was the same filter?

I think your problem is as much with your exposure choices as it is with filter choice. Although that 50% cutoff between 650-700 lets in a lot of visible light.

Of course, you may just be unlucky in your choice of subjects .
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I think your problem is as much with your exposure choices as it is with filter choice. Although that 50% cutoff between 650-700 lets in a lot of visible light.

Of course, you may just be unlucky in your choice of subjects .
    Well the literature on B&H for Hoya is less clear.. And Hoya saying it has no transition point from full throughput to none at all as a cutoff seems unlikely ... There must be some transition, so I assumed B+W was just more accurate with it's description but had the same characteristics as the Hoya... Anyone know officially?

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All this discussion is just increasing my grief for the disappearance of HIE. I have a single roll left in the freezer. Just needed a red 25. Could compose and focus with the filter on and hand-hold the camera. Back in the day, it was my favorite summer film. Nothing else worked on those blazing days. Will never be able to take photos like this with Rollei or Efke.

http://silverlilly.zenfolio.com/p547...9ae5#h2cd99ae5

This is a high noon shot, but over a decade old.

Sigh....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    At my latitude the light at high noon gets pretty directional this time of year making for some interesting shadows. (As an aside: It's a shame that this assignment doesn't cover December as high noon is part of the golden hour up here!)

These shots are taken last weekend with my Pentax 645NII, Tri-X developed in HC-110. Mix of clouds and open sun. Sorry about the excessive grain I am terrible at scanning. The prints are coming out really nice!

Carcross desert by Anthony DeLorenzo, on Flickr

Tracks in the Carcross desert by Anthony DeLorenzo, on Flickr

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post

Yeah, you got the wrong version. You're letting in so much red light that the IR exposure is swamped by the visible exposure.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    Yeah, you got the wrong version. You're letting in so much red light that the IR exposure is swamped by the visible exposure.
    OH!

Someone said the #93 since it starts at 800 would expose BLANK, is this wrong?

It would surprise me if B+W just didn't make a filter that all the other companies make...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It looks like B+W don't make an appropriate filter. The 092 and 093 are gradual-cutoff filters like Hoya's RM series whereas what you want is a sharp-cutoff filter like the R72.

Hoya specifications, noting (from the graph) that the R72 transition band covers only ~710-740nm.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    All this discussion is just increasing my grief for the disappearance of HIE. I have a single roll left in the freezer. Just needed a red 25. Could compose and focus with the filter on and hand-hold the camera. Back in the day, it was my favorite summer film. Nothing else worked on those blazing days. Will never be able to take photos like this with Rollei or Efke.

http://silverlilly.zenfolio.com/p547...9ae5#h2cd99ae5

This is a high noon shot, but over a decade old.

Sigh....
    That's awesome.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    It looks like B+W don't make an appropriate filter. The 092 and 093 are gradual-cutoff filters like Hoya's RM series whereas what you want is a sharp-cutoff filter like the R72.

Hoya specifications, noting (from the graph) that the R72 transition band covers only ~710-740nm.
    Darn.... That was an expansive filter!

Anyone want to trade? I doubt B&H would take it back now...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin