Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,445   Posts: 1,570,005   Online: 863

Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Monthly Shooting Assignment - September/October: High Noon

Okay, now we shift from the night (previous MSA) to the light of day. Recently I was reading some text about photography and encountered the usual statements about the best light occurring in the early and late hours of the day. True, but... screw that. Our next MSA is "High Noon". (Also inspired by my recent viewing of the classic, original version of "3:10 To Yuma" - a very "High Noon"-ish Western in some regards. And one of the most strikingly photographed Westerns, ever. Check out the recent BluRay release from Criterion).

Please create new pictures, shot between 12 noon and 1 pm (or as close as possible... honor system in effect here, of course.) in your locale. Isolate interesting patterns created by the noon-day light and architecture, perhaps purposely exploit characteristics usually associated with harsh ("bad") overhead lighting (deeply shadowed faces and such), whatever. (And, for the conceptually minded... if you can come up with a photograph that somehow conveys the plot points of the famous "High Noon" movie - a lone hero, up against impossible odds, deserted by all the other townsfolk, except the loving companion - without being too literal in the interpretation - well, step right up, partner!)

Color or monochrome is fine, doesn't matter.

Preferably, please post your entries (one or multiple okay) in the MSA Gallery.

Have fun!

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like your assignment, Martin. Our fall rains have started already, but there should be some more sunny days. I'll do my best. Or maybe a noon photo from a gray and overcast day?

Here's a high noon shot from a number of years ago. A long time favorite of mine.

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/showima...mageuser=17089

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great idea Martin.

Here is the link to the guidelines thread, for those with questions: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum195/...uidelines.html

And shouldn't the "window" of times be 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Congrats on winning by night time!

I'll see if I can join this round, if I can get up this early ...
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Nikon S2, Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T, Nikon F4s, Olympus Pen FT, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I keep thinking I'll try this one of these days, and I really like your assignment. Hopefully I'll get out and do this one!

Shooter
    Instant Films
    so thank you for the information on

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great concept! Hopefully I'll come up with some ideas to be able to contribute (I always want to for the MSA, then find I've run out of time!)
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Great idea Martin.

And shouldn't the "window" of times be 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.?
    Good point... oh, well... as long as it's generally around the noon-time area!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    I like your assignment, Martin. Our fall rains have started already, but there should be some more sunny days. I'll do my best. Or maybe a noon photo from a gray and overcast day?

Here's a high noon shot from a number of years ago. A long time favorite of mine.

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/showima...mageuser=17089
    Hey, Sly, I like your linked picture!
    You know, it occurred to me that this assignment might be viewed a bit differently by people in various parts of the world who may already be entering a season less conducive to the types of imagery usually associated with the "high noon" idea (i.e., bright, harsh, overhead light). But, perhaps this will lead to some even more interesting interpretations. In any case, everywhere in the world the clock reaches 12 noon at some point in our earth's rotation... let's see what we can see (and photograph)!

It's evident you have a good eye. I look forward to your submission(s)!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    NedL, you are in Sonoma County. It's beautiful... there must be many interesting photographic motifs available!
    I'm counting on you! Let's do this.

Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin