Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,928   Posts: 1,585,198   Online: 771

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Second try is drying! it seems a lot more even but still is unsharp, and I went through the process of completely re-doing the "lens" (hole) and sanding and measuring etc.

Well I think this will be my final entry.

It takes me a long time to do this for just one image but it was totally worth it, however I think I'll have to wait until I can get a real lens (and camera) that covers 11x14...

Also stripping the neg is a pain, it's hard to get even development on both sides so you have to strip the side that's against the tube wall.

I do kinda like that the corners are missing, gives it that "custom made" look, but it's uneven.

I had a mishap and one of the sheets fell out of the "holder" so I wasted one (plus travel to a spot to shoot it) and then re-designed the holder to grab more of the edge for the second shot.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391470142.799451.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	120.6 KB 
ID:	81484

This whole MSA has been a learning experience in design and given me a new respect for camera makers and photographers from 100 years ago.

I also totally realized mid way through development that I never heated up the development to temperature so I measured it, and it was at 60 degrees Fahrenheit (instead of my normal 68, so at 6 minutes I dumped and added 225ml (which is all the tank holds) for another 3 minute run (total of 9 minutes at 60 degrees Rodinal 1:50).

It was an estimation of the difference in temperature and the action on the developer. It looks like I guesstimated pretty well (I think...?).
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    MSA submission number 3.2

The official 3rd submission never happened, the piece of film fell out in the camera and never exposed, so this is v3.2

Snow White... This is the larger version, smaller is in the Gallery with more details, scanned in 4 parts and merged together in photoshop but no major adjustments were made to the photo.

Name:	Xray-Rodinal50-60degrees-9min-1200-merge1MSA-L.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	512.5 KB 
ID:	81485
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    MSA submission number 3.2
    That came out great... a good contrasty subject for pinhole! Very nice!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Meet Red Rooster Cam and Goat Rock Cam, two of my favorite pinhole cameras. Sorry they were not constructed just for MSA. Taylor Maid Farms is a favorite coffee roasting company here in Sonoma County, California. I actually roast my own coffee, but friends are happy to save these for me.

Name:	pinholecams.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	150.8 KB 
ID:	81610

These cans are great for pinhole because there is a lip inside the rim to hold a 5x7 paper negative perfectly. The lip also supports a black paper insert as a light seal. I think they are light tight, but I put a small piece of aluminum foil on top as a failsafe, which also indicates they are loaded. The pinholes were made from drink can aluminum, and the shutters are tape. Red Rooster Cam has built in "rise", and if you want "fall" just turn it upside-down! Both are spray painted flat black inside, and I usually use "pearl" paper to reduce reflections. GRC has a distictive blockage on one end, RRC has a shiny spot that makes a flare on the right side of every picture... these are part of the "character" of the cameras and I like them as they are.

You can see a few more photos from the cameras here: http://www.ipernity.com/doc/295785/album/357355

We are having an unusually dry winter, so the first MSA picture is a reservoir where I often walk the dog. I have never seen it this low. The camera location is usually under more than 15 feet of water!

Here is RRC making the MSA photo a week ago:

Name:	foothillrrcam.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	207.7 KB 
ID:	81611

Yesterday we finally got some rain so here is Goat Rock Cam making a counterpoint photo:

Name:	SantaRosaCreekGRC.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	137.0 KB 
ID:	81612

And here are the results. The first is a contact print and the second is a neg scan:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ned - that is extremely cool. Do you have a reference that explains how to build one of those?

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NedL View Post
    Meet Red Rooster Cam and Goat Rock Cam, two of my favorite pinhole cameras.
    And here are the results. The first is a contact print and the second is a neg scan:

Hi Ned,
    Great images both! After looking at both for a while I decided I like the second one best, for the composition of the trees.
    You're a fine ambassador for pinhole photography!

Bert from Holland
    http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Nikon S2, Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T, Nikon F4s, Olympus Pen FT, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras.

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow Ned! Those are gorgeous! The oaks especially. As always your pinhole images are inspirational.

Here's a couple more of mine from Maui:

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	81629

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	135.3 KB 
ID:	81630

More details about them in the gallery.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
    ... Do you have a reference that explains how to build one of those?
    Hatchetman, very simple ( and very fun too! ) I'll write a short thread about it in the pinhole forum and send you the link.

Quote Originally Posted by TheToadMen View Post
    ...You're a fine ambassador for pinhole photography!...
    Thanks Bert!! I'd say you do very well in that regard too!

Sly, I know kiawe trees very well... and so do my feet. The thorns have no trouble going through flip-flops or thin-soled sneakers. My dad and I used to go diving at Makena when it was still on a dirt road and you had to walk through the kiawe forests to get to the beach. I think the 2nd one would make a perfect 11x14 print!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Monthly Shooting Assignment - Jan/Feb 2014 - Cheap camera challenge!

Shot with free graphic pack film but shot with modern camera, scanned using quarters to hold it down instead of the film holders.

GAF-Ansco Super Hypam expired in the 1960's

Shot with my 4x5

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391750999.508752.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	156.9 KB 
ID:	81635

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NedL View Post

I love this one!

Very, very nice!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin