Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,979   Posts: 1,523,736   Online: 1135

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2678910111213141516 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you Pelo78!

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    FINALLY!!
    I finally found some time this evening to tinker something for this MSA. I passed my last exams last week (Lean Expert Black Belt) so I don't have to spend all my free time studying and making reports for the exams anymore. So, I made a start today.

I bought a new garden table last summer. It came in two large cardboard boxes each 100x170 cm (40x68 inch), that I saved to build a prototype ULF camera for a Wollaston meniscus lens made by Reinhold: a lens with 790 mm (31 inch) focal length and a diameter of 153 mm (6 inch). It will cover negatives from 1.4 meter/56 inch (@ infinity) up to 1.8 meter/72 inch. The cardboard prototype camera will be a template to build a wooden camera, after I decided on the specifics about the right focal length (bellow draw) to use it as a "point & shoot ULF camera" for landscapes .

But - inspired by Stone - I'm gonna use the cardboard to make a very ULF pinhole camera for this MSA, that I can later transform into a lens camera (maybe).

These are the measures of my design:

- focal length = 600 mm (24 inch)
    - pinhole diameter = 1.0 mm
    - f-number: 1/600
    - negative size: 500x600 mm (20x24 inch)
    - angle of view: 66.66 degrees.
    I'll call it my "600 pincam" or something.

The pinhole will be made out of an empty soda can.

I was also given an open box of very, very old Ilford B&W photo paper size 51x61 cm (20x24 inch) for free some time ago. I'm gonna use it as a paper negative in this camera. I have no idea if this paper is still any good at all, but we'll see.
    Developing will be with a sponge on a table top with some left over developer, since my trays are too small.

Total costs: 0.00!! Since it was all for free. I'll even use some old Duct tape, that was also given to me - instead of throwing it away - for being old & sticky but still somewhat usable. This should fit this MSA theme perfectly!

I started measuring, cutting and folding the the cardboard tonight and taped the first parts together.

The total size of the camera will be 90x98x60 cm (36x39x24 inch) so it will be hugh. I taped the four sides together. This weekend I'm gonna make two lids for it: one front lid with the pinhole and one back lid to tape the negative into. It will be a single shot camera. Maximum negative size will be about 80x90 cm (32x36 inch).

So the Ilford paper will fit in nicely. And when I use three sheets of normal photo paper (30x40 cm/12x16 inch) togehter. I can even make some nice panorama shots (40x90 cm/16x36 inch) for contact printing processes like gum, cyanotype or salt printing.
    Or make some multi-pinhole exposures, or ...

But first finishing the simple version this weekend and make a test shot - if weather permits (forcast: a lot of rain and wind). I'm gonna put four old quarry tiles at the bottom for stability. I'll make some snapshots of the camera this weekend and post it here.
    And I should be able to post a test shot here before the end of the month, shouldn't I?

Oh, and I must calculate (=guestimate) the exposure times. The exposure factor compared to f/22 is 743 x. That is without reciprocity failure.
    I'll rate the photo paper @ ISO 2. An exposure of 1 second @ f/22 compares to 12.5 minutes @ f/600. And an exposure of 40 seconds equals 8.5 hours ;-)
    So, making some indoor test shots (on smaller sheets) will take some time... but that's okay: it's my birthday this Friday and I hope to get some books so I can read while exposing the photo paper. Now that I think of it, I could make a setup for a self portrait, reading a book in a chair under some bright lights.

To be continued ...
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Wow Bert!

1 ASA ouch!

I would set it up outside and just leave it all day hah!

My 100 ASA x-ray film was about 6 minutes.

So, yep 6-8 hours ouch, good luck! Glad to have been some inspiration.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, dam, Bert, and all you other build-it-yourself guys, I'm feeling like my Holga is over the top, and downright lazy. I've done lots of DIY stuff in my life, but it's mostly been about gardening, cooking, or textiles. My one attempt at punching out my own pinhole and making a cardboard box camera was very disappointing.

None-the-less, here are neg scans of some of my colour pinhole images. Shot on 120 Lomo film. I assume that's rebranded something or other.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	82063

Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	82064

Views:	30 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	82065

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    ...None-the-less, here are neg scans of some of my colour pinhole images...
    I like all three of these very much! My favorite is the third but I have a thing about skies....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheToadMen View Post
    FINALLY!!.....
    That sounds like great fun! I know you didn't ask but I got out my calculator and thinking cap... I think a pinhole of 0.85 or 0.83mm might do a bit better, accounting for the mostly blue/uv sensitivity of that paper. Also I don't think you are going to find exposures to be all that bad. Most of my pinhole cameras are F/300-something. Yours will only be a couple stops slower. My "sunny 16" bright sun exposures range from 20 to 45 seconds depending on paper and camera... that's pre-flashed paper around iso 12, so figure 2 or 3 stops slower for your paper and 2 stops for your F/700-something. I think 15 or 20 minutes has a good chance to work well in bright sun. I do think it will be hard to test indoors where the light will be much less blue! Have fun that's great!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Sly, the third is great
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great work in this MSA!
    (Bert 2)
    Last edited by Bertus; 02-13-2014 at 06:03 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hello Sly,
    Don't look too much at the type of "light tight box" the film was in: it is the result (i.e. the print) that counts!!
    And yours are very fine, indeed! I couldn't decide if I liked the first or the last best. The last is a great landscape shot with very nice colours and a beautiful sky. But - because of the composition - I like the first also very much. The second image must be great to print it very, very large (like 4 feet high) and hang it on a wall.
    The Holga panoramic pinhole camera is a very good camera, so don't be ashamed. It is still just a piece of plastic with only one guarantee from the factory: light leeks ;-) So it fits right into this MSA.
    And good of you to use color films. Pinhole always give some nice off-colours, don't it? I never correct it when I scan the negatives.
    Bert from Holland

Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    Well, dam, Bert, and all you other build-it-yourself guys, I'm feeling like my Holga is over the top, and downright lazy. I've done lots of DIY stuff in my life, but it's mostly been about gardening, cooking, or textiles. My one attempt at punching out my own pinhole and making a cardboard box camera was very disappointing.

None-the-less, here are neg scans of some of my colour pinhole images. Shot on 120 Lomo film. I assume that's rebranded something or other.

Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	82063

Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	82064

Views:	30 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	82065
    Bert from Holland

* My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi Ned,
    I didn't ask, but was hoping/expecting someone would check my math, so thank you for the help.
    When I want to do it the easy way, I just use the Pinhole Designer program. Unfortunately, the older Mac version doesn't work anymore with the current OSX version, but the Windows version still works.
    It uses the Lord Rayleigh formular for the calculations. It gives an "ideal" pinhole size of (just over) 1 mm for a focal length of 600 mm. Usually I tend to make my pinhole a bit smaller, so 0.85 might be just fine. I even thought of a smaller pinhole of 0.6 mm to get a f-number of 1000. Sounds magical and I love long time exposures.
    BTW: How did you calculate the 0.85 mm?

For exposure with film (often Fuji NPC 160) I expose as a Sunny 16 for a about 30 to 50 seconds. Photo papers is like 7 stops slower, so on a sunny day (in winter) I would make my first test shot (on a small sheet) about 15 minutes for starters. That's close to your estimates, so it should work. I hope to test the first images next Sunday - when weather permits...
    It the weather is too bad, I'll put the box in my living room in the morning, open the shutter and close it after supper in the evening.

I never pre flashed paper before, but want to try that sometimes. Have to find out how to first, though. I have a box of Ilford Direct Positive paper, that I haven't tried yet. It's my understanding that preflashing helps to tame the contrast of this paper.
    Thanks,
    Bert from Holland

Quote Originally Posted by NedL View Post
    That sounds like great fun! I know you didn't ask but I got out my calculator and thinking cap... I think a pinhole of 0.85 or 0.83mm might do a bit better, accounting for the mostly blue/uv sensitivity of that paper. Also I don't think you are going to find exposures to be all that bad. Most of my pinhole cameras are F/300-something. Yours will only be a couple stops slower. My "sunny 16" bright sun exposures range from 20 to 45 seconds depending on paper and camera... that's pre-flashed paper around iso 12, so figure 2 or 3 stops slower for your paper and 2 stops for your F/700-something. I think 15 or 20 minutes has a good chance to work well in bright sun. I do think it will be hard to test indoors where the light will be much less blue! Have fun that's great!
    Bert from Holland

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin