Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,692   Posts: 1,482,404   Online: 727

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you Matt! I love paper negatives.

Here's a $%^& picture of the camera in the act of making that photograph.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8x10fc.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	133.2 KB 
ID:	80431

The camera is just a foamcore box. The filmholder is a picture frame from the dollar store, with the glass removed and a window mat to make a format of 5.3 x 9 inches on a 7 x 11 calotype ( 1/2 sheet of 11x14 canson marker paper ) You can see I put my hat on top of the camera with the bill sticking out a little to shade the lens.

The lens is like the one Stone has... from a 1914 Kodak 3A camera, with the front element removed it will cover 8x10, but needs to be stopped down far to be sharp all over. But I think it has an interesting look when it is opened up more. I got the camera on the Goodwill website for about $15. The camera was a wreck but the lens was fine.

To give you an idea of how slow a calotype is. This exposure was 14 minutes at f/16. A normal paper negative from commercial developing paper would make a good exposure of this scene in about 5 seconds at f/64!

But it sure is fun!

PS: I'm probably the only person in the world who has a "take off the lens!" sticker on their camera. When I first started using this camera, I kept forgetting to take the front lens element off before making the exposure. With the front element on, the camera is focused at about 2 feet! Since my wife made that sticker for me, I haven't forgotten
    Last edited by NedL; 01-19-2014 at 12:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Some photos: http://www.ipernity.com/home/295785 ( mostly analog )

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Take off the lens!"

I really like your calotype too. My pick for best, so far, in this MSA.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's my entry for kicks. Kodak Signet 35 camera, cost $25.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0034.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    OK I'm already SERIOUSLY regretting winning the last challenge as I have no idea how I'm going to pick a 'winner' here...

Hatchetman -- Love the picture and cool camera!
    Ned -- In camera Calotype? That's just awesome. Also I think the camera is a thing of beauty, esp. the use of bungee cords.
    Sly -- Love the pinholes, the first low angle shot with the yacht is my favorite
    Stone -- Sorry about your house!
    ajmiller -- Another awesome camera and I think the choice of subject really fits this challenge.
    Bertus -- A disposable camera found in the boot of a car? Love it. I like both images, and I have to say shooting through a magnifying glass is a very creative touch.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NedL View Post
    Unfortunately, all three are disappointing. But there is still plenty of time and I had fun trying.
    1) Calotype in lensed camera, the calotype fogged. It would have been a good photo though, so that's progress! My first try at a calotype was out of focus. This was my 2nd try ever.
    Edit: here's an inverted scan of the calotype I made. It's so badly fogged that I'm not sure if you can tell by looking why I think it is promising!

Attachment 80429
    Hi Ned,
    I can understand you are not satisfied because it didn't turn out as you planned. But that aside, and since I didn't have any precognition about this image, I can sincerely say that I like this image. It has a very nice effect to it. So please don't throw it away (in that case send it to me, please) but put it aside and look at it again in a week or two. Sometimes our "mistakes" will deliver us great images, you know that, using pinhole cameras. Being able to recreate the "mistake" is a whole other story.
    This image brings some post-medieval drawings (I've seen a long time ago) to my mind. It has a nice dreamy effect (Pictorialism, but different?). I don't know how to explain it, but I would like to hang it on my wall and look at it for quite some time to find out what it is that attracts me and what it reminds me of ...
    Well, it's just a great image in my book, period!
    Bert from Holland
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* "So much time and so little to do. Wait a minute. Strike that. Reverse it. Thank you." (the original Willy Wonka: Gene Wilder, 1971)
    * My favorite cameras: Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I haven't contributed anything yet, because of the lack of time. My work is fun but killing at the moment. And I have exams for "Lean Management Black Belt" in a week so I have to study ... (I'm not complaining, just stating the facts).

I hope I'll find some time after that since I already have a plan for a "cheap shot" to win this months MSA.
    I saved the skin (in 2 parts) of an avocado (after eating it) as a prop for a still life setup. I want to make some nice negatives for alt-photo processes like carbon, salt and albumen printing.
    But for this MSA I want to turn this avocado shell into a camera. By reusing some old duct tape and some tin foil of a yogurt can I want to make it into a pinhole camera.
    I have some very old B&W photo paper ($1 for a whole box of 100 sheets) and left over developer (from developing sheet films) for making tiny panorama paper negatives.
    So, total cost of my investment would be 2 sheets of paper ($0.02) and a day of tinkering and testing ....
    But the lather I don't have yet. Would be a perfect contribution to this MSA, though.
    Well, maybe in a weeks time?
    Bert from Holland
    Bert from Holland

* "So much time and so little to do. Wait a minute. Strike that. Reverse it. Thank you." (the original Willy Wonka: Gene Wilder, 1971)
    * My favorite cameras: Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images

WPPD 2014 is coming

BTW & OT:
    Since we are enjoying pinhole images so much around here, check out this thread also:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum62/1...ml#post1598608
    It's an open invitation to join the next worldwide pinhole day on Sunday April 27, 2014.
    I'll be at the WPPD event in Amsterdam, The Netherlands that day. Hope to see some of you there.
    If you don't have a pinhole camera, let me know and I'll bring an extra one for you.

And maybe we can pick pinhole photography as a theme for the MSA in March - April to celebrate the WPPD-day?? Would be fun

Bert from Holland

Name:	WPPD-logo.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	80516 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WPPD-2014.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	80517
    Bert from Holland

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheToadMen View Post
    Hi Ned,
    I can understand you are not satisfied because it didn't turn out as you planned. But that aside, and since I didn't have any precognition about this image, I can sincerely say that I like this image. It has a very nice effect to it. So please don't throw it away....
    Bert from Holland
    Bert, thank you very much, I appreciate your thoughts very much! This is a little hard to explain, but I'm disappointed in the calotype itself: it has fog that makes it lower contrast, hides detail in the highlights and makes the shadows muddy. I don't think it would be possible to make a good print from it. But don't worry I'm not going to throw it away.. there are a lot of things I like about it too. I can't wait to make another one.

I am not disappointed overall, I feel encouraged and happy and like I'm moving in a good direction. The camera and lens worked ( after some work! ) the composition is what I hoped, and many parts of making the calotype went better than my first try. I thought it was probably too fogged for anyone else to see the promise in it, but I was obviously wrong about that. I think the same character of the picture that is catching your eye will become stronger when I get a clean, fog-free calotype.

P.S.
    I'm already looking forward to WPPD and this year my daughter is going to make her own camera!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Ok everyone! I have a plan but I need a CHEAP 8x10 holder, even if it leaks a little light that's fine if it holds the film well. Anyone have a spare?
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stone, can you improvise one or does it absolutely need to fit in a springlock back? Not 20 minutes ago I finished cutting the pieces to make two 8-1/2 x 11 holders and a ground glass holder. I used a 2'x4' sheet of 1/8" MDF which cost $3 at my local hardware store. These will be 1-sided single channel holders. In the channel will go: paper or film, followed by a window mat, followed by a darkslide. I'm going to try to seal the opening with felt or velcro material. Maybe you could make something out of matboard or foamcore? Or improvise a 1-shot setup and load it in the dark? Not sure if this is any help since I don't know what you're up to and it's probably a secret or at least a surprise....

Something like this:

Name:	holders.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	241.6 KB 
ID:	80875

Each holder will have one "window" one "solid back" and those strips around 3 sides. The fourth side will have felt or velcro. I'm going to cut up some stiff thin black plasticy stuff from a binder cover to make the darkslides. Got the idea from a fellow named Ray at F295, I think he's here at APUG too.

If you do use MDF, wear a dust mask when you cut it, that's important because it has resin and you don't want to breath that dust. Or matboard since you're doing a 1-shot deal...
    Last edited by NedL; 01-25-2014 at 07:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin