Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,857   Posts: 1,583,099   Online: 943

Page 1 of 16 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Monthly Shooting Assignment - Jan/Feb 2014 - Cheap camera challenge!

OK! I'm back from the backwoods of Alaska and it looks like I need to set the shooting assignment for the next couple of months. I've been thinking about it today and here's what I have come up with, I hope everyone enjoys it.

How about a cheap camera challenge? Break out your $5 thrift store find or that Holga that has been collecting dust and put a roll of film through it. Maybe try a disposable camera and get the film processed at your local Wal-mart. Instant cameras, pinholes or homemade cameras would be awesome too. Bonus points if your camera has been repaired or constructed with with duct tape. Cheap lens on a good camera is fine too and as is shooting bargain or expired film.

Everyone has different standards for what is 'cheap' so I'm not going to be too strict on what is acceptable but basically the winner of this challenge will be the photographer who does the most with the least.

The choice of subject is up to you but when you post your entries please tell us the story of the camera and film you used to take the photo. Most of all, be creative and have fun!

I think that's about it. Here are the MSA guidelines and otherwise if you have questions please ask. Can't wait to see what people come up with!

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Awesome! A completely new direction for the MSA! Love it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll have fun with this one. Makeshift and homemade cameras are sort of my "2nd photography" hobby. The pinhole camera I used for the last two MSA was made from a $5 polaroid "colorpack II" from goodwill. I used a hacksaw to remove the front and attached a black matboard front/pinhole/shutter with .... drumroll.... black duct tape of course.

My current two favorite pinhole cameras are:
    1) a coffee can for 5x7
    2) a black matboard and tape box for 8x10. ( duct tape is the shutter on this one )

But the timing for this MSA is good because I just built a new lensed camera made from black foamcore ( also sealed with black duct tape, including the door I use to change out the negs... ) I've been making paper negatives and contact printing. In the last 3 days I've made my first salt prints from these and am having a blast doing it. So probably I'll pick whatever the best one is in the next 2 months....

Sounds like great fun, thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll start with an example - a shot I took in 2010 with an Olympus Trip 35 I paid $2.10 for at a local thrift shot. As it is "dated", it should not be eligible for the winner's "prize".

It is in my APUG gallery, with the title "Estuary Windfall - $2.10".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2010-04-19-22b_927233.jpg  
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    This I certainly can do!! Creative tinkering with cameras I like!!
    And this MSA is just the deadline I need to tinker up one of my imaginary projects.
    Duct tape it is!! And some card board and an old glass lens element I'm gonna rip out of something.
    Or yet a multi pinhole camera - also ducted together.
    Or rebuilding that used single-use-camera into something.
    I also have a triplex-and-duct-tape-360-degrees-pinhole-camera lying around that I still have to finish (shoots one image on an entire 120 roll film).
    Or ...

WOW, this is fun!!
    (I hope I don't forget to put a film in it)
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Nikon S2, Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T, Nikon F4s, Olympus Pen FT, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Funny I was actually planning to add an old non LF lens to my kit but now I'll use duct take instead of more sturdy materiels
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I like what I'm hearing so far, looks like this is going to be a lot of fun. Already three people are promising break out the duct tape!

Matt that's a great image with any camera. Thanks for starting us off.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Does a Polaroid count? I wish I had a Holga.

Matt- that's beautiful!
    Sourdough, salami and blue cheese... and 2 dogs drooling with such sad, sad eyes. ... they're working me... they know I'll cave!

APUG Portfolio

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why wouldn't a Polaroid count? As long as it didn't cost you alot.

I'm wondering about free cameras. I was gifted my Nikon FE and my Yashica LM, from friends who weren't using them. I was also gifted ("if you don't take it I'm sending to the dump") a large copy stand. Canabalized it, and traded the bellows and lens (to someone who wanted to build a 16x20 camera) for my Korona 8x10.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    Why wouldn't a Polaroid count? As long as it didn't cost you alot.
    LOL - yeah, have you seen the going prices for the SX-70?! Crazy stuff for a 'cheap' camera. I paid less for the Exakta.

This will be just the excuse I needed to try out the new IP black & white film for the 600. Should be fun.
    Sourdough, salami and blue cheese... and 2 dogs drooling with such sad, sad eyes. ... they're working me... they know I'll cave!

APUG Portfolio

Page 1 of 16 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin