Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,530   Posts: 1,543,968   Online: 1106

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's been a pleasure for me to look at and review the photographs. Definitely a fun time.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you Thomas! You set a new standard for a wonderful summary of the submitted images.

Here is a link to the May/June MSA thread.

I am looking forward to it and hope we'll see lots of photographs!

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images

my cow print is withdrawn (sorry)

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    ... I'm surprised you didn't disqualify me as a negative scan, since you were so strict about the digital interneg...
    I know if it were a transparency it would have been easier to forgive a scan, but with B&W if you're that strict with the hybrid processes, how come you didn't disqualify me on that same basis? (I'm just asking and I'm curious not offended). ...
    Hi Stone,
    In retrospect I must say Thomas was absolutely right in disqualifying my print for using a digital negative. I should have know better. The general rules of APUG apply, are very clear and can be found in the Gallery Upload page:
    "Please refrain from posting any images that have been manipulated digitally such as converting color images to black and white, photoshop filtering tricks, etc. Also no multi-media/mixed media hybrid images or hybrid images in general, this includes digitally enlarged negatives which are then contact printed (see our sister site hybridphoto.com if you are interested in sharing such work). All images posted should be a representation of 100% traditional work, typically negative scans or print scans produced from a 100% traditional workflow.

The uploaded image should be the best representation of the actual final print and nothing more. We still accept neg scans in the galleries. We accept that some adjustment of contrast, brightness and sharpness may be needed to match the physical print and, for negative scans, to approximate a straight print.

Failure to follow the above rules will result in deletion of your image. Please respect the spirit of this community and our desire to share scans of 100% traditional based work in the galleries. If you understand the above rules then continue below. Thank You."
    (source: http://www.apug.org/gallery1/upload.php)

That's why I am rightfully disqualified and you're not. I think this is a good and just general rule for APUG. The Blind Print Exchange (BPX) might have some exceptions to this general rule, but I shouldn't have assumed that those exceptions apply everywhere. It makes me even think about clarifying these things in the BPX thread itself. (But that's OT here.)

I should have known better, so - in retrospect - I withdraw my cow print as a submission to this MSA with my sincere apologies for my ignorance of APUG standard guidelines. I'm just glad I mentioned the digital inter-negative in the first place and didn't win accidentally, or my embarrassment would have been even bigger...
    I've edited my submission in the MSA Gallery accordingly.

@Thomas: Thank you for a wise lesson. And don't worry: you didn't discourage me in any way. If at all, you encouraged me to go even more analogue at the MSA next time. New standards for me to meet in alt-photo printing, so to say. It's always good to be reminded of the primary settings of the forum, now and again. We too easily drift off into the digital abyss....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resistance-is-futile.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	142.7 KB 
ID:	87882
    Last edited by TheToadMen; 05-12-2014 at 04:22 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheToadMen View Post
    Hi Stone,
    In retrospect I must say Thomas was absolutely right in disqualifying my print for using a digital negative. I should have know better. The general rules of APUG apply, are very clear and can be found in the Gallery Upload page:
    "Please refrain from posting any images that have been manipulated digitally such as converting color images to black and white, photoshop filtering tricks, etc. Also no multi-media/mixed media hybrid images or hybrid images in general, this includes digitally enlarged negatives which are then contact printed (see our sister site hybridphoto.com if you are interested in sharing such work). All images posted should be a representation of 100% traditional work, typically negative scans or print scans produced from a 100% traditional workflow.

The uploaded image should be the best representation of the actual final print and nothing more. We still accept neg scans in the galleries. We accept that some adjustment of contrast, brightness and sharpness may be needed to match the physical print and, for negative scans, to approximate a straight print.

Failure to follow the above rules will result in deletion of your image. Please respect the spirit of this community and our desire to share scans of 100% traditional based work in the galleries. If you understand the above rules then continue below. Thank You."

That's why I am rightfully disqualified and you're not. I think this is a good and just general rule for APUG. The Blind Print Exchange (BPX) might have some exceptions to this general rule, but I shouldn't have assumed that those exceptions apply everywhere. It makes me even think about clarifying these things in the BPX thread itself. (But that's OT here.)

I should have known better, so - in retrospect - I withdraw my cow print as a submission to this MSA with my sincere apologies for my ignorance of APUG standard guidelines. I'm just glad I mentioned the digital inter-negative in the first place and didn't win accidentally, or my embarrassment would have been even bigger...

@Thomas: Thank you for a wise lesson. And don't worry: you didn't discourage me in any way. If at all, you encouraged me to go even more analogue at the MSA next time. New standards for me to meet in alt-photo printing, so to say. It's always good to be reminded of the primary settings of the forum, now and again. We too easily drift off into the digital abyss....

So I guess my neg scan is good enough for the submission

I think you were honest and shouldn't be ashamed of the amazing work you did.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bert,

You are one cool dude. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by TheToadMen View Post
    Hi Stone,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    FWIW:

The Postcard exchange is the only exchange that permits the use of a digital intermediary for a print exchange.

In fact, you can actually send a digital inkjet print in the postcard exchange (but don't tell anyone )

I don't think that there are any specific rules permitting or prohibiting digital negatives for the Monthly Shooting Assignment.

But there seems to be a desire to add a prohibition. Shall we add one to the Sticky that has the rules?

EDIT: Note that the rules for Gallery uploads are really only specific to the Gallery, and not specific to images in threads.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    FWIW:

The Postcard exchange is the only exchange that permits the use of a digital intermediary for a print exchange.

In fact, you can actually send a digital inkjet print in the postcard exchange (but don't tell anyone )

I don't think that there are any specific rules permitting or prohibiting digital negatives for the Monthly Shooting Assignment.

But there seems to be a desire to add a prohibition. Shall we add one to the Sticky that has the rules?
    It IS APUG, after all. And the gallery specifically does not permit uploading photos from digital negatives. Don't know why the MSA should be stepping away from the general APUG guidelines.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    It IS APUG, after all. And the gallery specifically does not permit uploading photos from digital negatives. Don't know why the MSA should be stepping away from the general APUG guidelines.
    I agree,
    It is a (kind of) contest (not an exchange), so let's raise the bar a little more to an analog level to stimulate everyone to be more creative analogically (is that even a word??).

I would be nice to add some guidelines to the sticky, since I didn't think of looking at the upload page rules. And even if I had noticed, that would only have been AFTER I finished my assignment. I'd rather have know upfront.
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin