Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,223   Online: 835

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am trying to include a pinhole image for each MSA, so here is one I made yesterday:

I recently made a macro pinhole camera. The pinhole is optimal for a distance of somewhere between 1-1/4 and 1-1/3 inches, and these hypo crystals were much closer than that. This is the negative image just like the paper in hand. My entry is the actual paper negative above but here is the inverted scan in case anyone is interested:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pinholesaltinv.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	84353

I've got something else in the works for this MSA, have gone on a couple of scouting hikes and learned about new things like "bittern"... so I hope to have at least one more entry!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NedL View Post
    I am trying to include a pinhole image for each MSA, so here is one I made yesterday:

I recently made a macro pinhole camera. The pinhole is optimal for a distance of somewhere between 1-1/4 and 1-1/3 inches, and these hypo crystals were much closer than that. This is the negative image just like the paper in hand. My entry is the actual paper negative above but here is the inverted scan in case anyone is interested:

Name:	pinholesaltinv.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	84353

I've got something else in the works for this MSA, have gone on a couple of scouting hikes and learned about new things like "bittern"... so I hope to have at least one more entry!
    Well why should I bother now... That's incredible... I like both actually... Hmmm
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Wow Ned. Macro pinhole? Very cool image and I like the negative version very much.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images

Actual Salt Print

SALT as in: actually printing with it like they did 180 years ago for the first time.
    And guess what the cow is tasting ...

Name:	Salt_print_cow_Bert_Kuijer_WEB_74dpi.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	316.9 KB 
ID:	84354 (scan of my actual salt print)

This print is made with the alt-photo process of "Salt Printing" on aquarel paper. I scanned my original photo and made a special digital inter-negative for theis printing process.
    Salt printing is an old process technique whereby paper is treated with a solution of salt and silver nitrate and then subjected to outdoor exposure (sunlight) or an indoor UV lamp. I used a lamp this time. I love this process for its simplicity and beauty of the prints.

"[Excerpt from alternativephotography.com] Combine hydrochloric acid and sodium hydroxide and what do you get? That’s right, sodium chloride commonly known as table salt. Salt is one of two key ingredients in the making of salted paper prints. The salted paper process was invented by William Henry Fox Talbot, known as The Father of Modern Photography, in 1833 while he was on his honey moon. He was the first to make a silver image on paper. On his first attempts paper coated with a silver nitrate solution and exposed to light only gave a faint metallic silver image. He later discovered that by first applying salt to the paper and then coating it with the silver nitrate solution he could get a much stronger image. This is basically the same way that we make salt prints today."
    For more info about this historical process on http://www.alternativephotography.com click here:

BTW: the streaks on the right side of the nose (upper right corner) are from uneven coating of the aquarel paper with a brush, while making the paper light sensitive before exposing it with a negative (sandwich as a contact print).
    Last edited by TheToadMen; 03-13-2014 at 06:42 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Bert you beat me to it! I was planning to do a salted paper print as well. Nice work!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Stone, Anthony! My first exposure guess was off by a factor of 20 and I found out just how deep LPD can make blacks... I tried some kosher salt first but hypo looks neat...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by adelorenzo View Post
    Bert you beat me to it! I was planning to do a salted paper print as well. Nice work!
    Bert you beat me to it too! I'm also heading in the same direction, with a little twist!

That is a very fine salt print, after the cow enjoyed the salt lick I think! The detail and tonal range is fabulous.
    Last edited by NedL; 03-13-2014 at 08:02 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Got told to submit this, Antarctic sea-ice

4x5 Sea-ice by Alex Gard, on Flickr

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    And a beauty it is!! I like the vignetting in the sky. Please tell us a bit more how and when it was made.

Antarctic ice ... with or without salt? Land-ice is without, but is this also the fact with frozen sea water?
    Or did it freeze, leaving al the salt behind?
    A nice "brain game" involving salt: welcome to this MSA!!!

Bert from Holland

Quote Originally Posted by alex gard View Post
    Got told to submit this, Antarctic sea-ice

4x5 Sea-ice by Alex Gard, on Flickr
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, when sea ice forms, most of the salt is pushed into the water below it, however some salt still remains in sea ice.

I was on a SIPEX (Sea Ice Physics Experiment) voyage a couple of years ago, and there was a german scientist on board who found "ice diamonds" in the sea ice. My memory of it is a bit foggy but it was something like the chemical events and the pressure in the ice compressed the brine so much that it formed "ice diamonds". Quite rare to find actually. He had some in a little vial, apparently they would melt very easily and were quite an unstable element. I asked if I could have some to put into a neclklace for my girlfriend at the time, he said he would but unfortunately the diamonds would melt/break down as soon as they were out of sub zero temperatures.

The above photo was taken on a Sinar F2, on 4x5 T-Max film dev'd in T-max developer.

It was taken when we were en route to Casey Station, just after rescuing the passengers on board the MV Akademik Shokalskiy.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin