Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,358   Online: 846

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Spend a few rolls for the Salt topic today. Results this Month I'l try!

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertus View Post
    Spend a few rolls for the Salt topic today. Results this Month I'l try!
    Hi Bertus,
    Can't wait to see your contribution to this MSA, looking at your other images in the Gallery.
    I'm guessing maybe something with the ports of Rotterdam? Enough sea water, "zoute haring", ships, etc. from all over the world in you backyard to play with. Must be nice to have one of the biggest seaports in the world around.
    Bert from Holland
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Salt

Here is my contribution for the Salt MSA: Salt storage for Road sliperiness, right from darkroom! Bronica sq ai and 110 mm. Ilford fp4 outside and kodak tmax at 800 asa inside. Ilford mg paper.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Zout--1.jpg   Zout--2.jpg   Zout--3.jpg   Zout--4.jpg   Zout--5.jpg  

Last edited by Bertus; 04-04-2014 at 04:12 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Here is my contribution for the Salt MSA: Salt storage for Road sliperiness, right from darkroom!
    Hi Bertus,
    Nice series about salt. I especially liked the second image. It looks like waves on the ocean. Just cover the window (upper left) and look again at the image. Like a tsunami of salt.
    Great contribution to this MSA! What camera & film did you use?
    Bert from Holland
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Here is my contribution for the Salt MSA: Salt storage for Road sliperiness, right from darkroom! Bronica sq ai and 110 mm. Ilford fp4 outside and kodak tmax at 800 asa inside. Ilford mg paper.
    These are great!! I wish this MSA came out at the beginning of the winter, they have piles of salt for the roads! But not anymore
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Bertus, I really like the first two, and especially the second one. Well done!

My idea for this MSA is "experimental", but the weather is finally nice so I'm planning to go out tomorrow and try. It's a hike... not sure yet if I'll try to make 1 or 2 negatives. I've been looking forward to trying ever since I scouted the location! Going to be fun to try even if it doesn't work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here is a salt print of a salt evaporation pond. After making the exposure, I collected water from within this scene and used it to coat the paper. The print is made from water that is in this photograph.

Details and thoughts, for interest:

Thanks to Thomas and this MSA, I discovered the Napa Sonoma salt marshes and enjoyed exploring several of its parts. The marsh includes about 13000 acres that were once used in salt production. The evaporative ponds were used in the 1950's by the Leslie Salt company and later by Cargill Salt works. Now most of it serves as a wildlife refuge. This particular pond is over 300 acres and was one of the final evaporation pools before processing into salt. There is a picturesque old train station nearby that I intend to visit later with my camera! Also, dogs are allowed here after the nesting season is over and my dog (and avatar ) Mango will be thrilled to help me explore many miles of trails here!

Photo Details:

I made three 8x10 paper negatives. This one was made with a fixed focus foamcore camera. The lens is a Bausch and Lomb Rapid Rectilinear from a 100 year old Kodak 3A camera. It covers 8x10 with the front lens element removed. Since the negatives were intended for salt printing, no contrast controls were used. My MSA entry is the salt print above, but I would like to show you the negative too because it looks neat. Here's the camera and the negative ( click to see the negative large... it looks cool! ):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	huichicap1.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	135.0 KB 
ID:	85943 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	salt0002.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	118.6 KB 
ID:	85944

Not MSA entries, but here's another made a with a pinhole camera, inverted scan of the negative. You can see Mt. Tamalpais on the horizon.

Name:	huichicap2.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	270.2 KB 
ID:	85945 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	salt0004.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	113.7 KB 
ID:	85946

And finally one with a sliding box foamcore camera, also a negative scan:

Name:	huichicap3.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	85947 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	salt0003.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	152.8 KB 
ID:	85948

This sliding box camera is capable of making the best negatives, but I didn't trust myself to get it right for the main picture, so I used the fixed focus I have more confidence with.

Salt Print Details:

I'd read that salinity of these ponds ranges from about 2.5% ( same as SF bay ) up to hyper-salinity levels. Right now at the end of our rainy season, the pond is full,so it should be on the low end, but as I was hiking to the pond I saw fish and tadpoles in a creek that empties into it, and when I collected the water I saw green algae growing and insects swimming underwater. That made me think the water might not be very salty! So I decided to try my first salt print using it undiluted,and also had help from APUG figuring out that it probably is a bit less than 2%. So as luck would have it, my print came out nice on the first try!

I brought 500ml of water home, boiled it in a mason jar in my microwave then filtered it twice. After that I added 1.5g of citric acid, to hopefully help prevent fogging.

Canson Universal Sketch paper, cut to 7x11 inches. Floated for 3 minutes on this solution, then dried overnight. Then I brushed on 1ml of 12% silver nitrate, 6% citric acid solution, and let it dry in the dark for 3 hours.

Exposure in the contact frame: 2.5 late afternoon hours aimed at North open sky. I was planning on ½ hour direct sun, but a cloud covered the sun so it was 20 minutes aimed at that cloud. Then the sun came back out at 5PM and I let it go another 30 minutes directly aimed at the sun.

Wash 2 x 5 minutes in water with a pinch of salt, then 2 x 4 minutes in hypo: ½ teaspoon per 4oz water. Quick rinse then 3 minutes in 1% sodium sulfate. Washed in frequent changes of water for an hour. Then dried overnight flat on a piece of glass.

I had a lot of fun doing all of this and learning something new about the area I live in.
    Last edited by NedL; 04-10-2014 at 08:49 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: formatting

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Well after that elaborate an amazing submission, I guess I don't think I'm even going to bother competing with that, truly truly a lot of effort and I don't think I could possibly beat it :/
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stone there are still 3 weeks!

I wrote so many details that made it sound like a lot of effort. Really it was a huge amount of fun!

Remember what you said about feeling like a kid watching your giant pinhole negative develop?? That's what I felt like when I saw the print emerging... magic!! We've got the greatest hobby, have fun with it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And Stone, it is an assignment, not a "winner take all" exercise!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin