Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,517   Online: 876

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NedL View Post
    Here is a salt print of a salt evaporation pond. After making the exposure, I collected water from within this scene and used it to coat the paper. The print is made from water that is in this photograph.

Ned!! Wow!! You really outdid yourself. A beautiful salt print of a beautiful subject (not just a silly cow ...).
    And you really made out on the theme, printing with your subject itself. Neat interpretation of the MSA theme. Its a triplet: subject, chemicals and print!

(...) My MSA entry is the salt print above, but I would like to show you the negative too because it looks neat. Here's the camera and the negative ( click to see the negative large... it looks cool! ):
    Attachment 85943 Attachment 85944[/QUOTE]
    The negative is also very nice in itself. Invert the scan, make a digital positive (as an inter-negative) and print a nice carbon print with it: "Salt by night" you can call it. Should be great too.

I also like the pinhole image. If you would make a salt print of it also, it might be as good or even better than the one above.

(...) I had a lot of fun doing all of this and learning something new about the area I live in.
    That I can imagine!! It must be fun and relaxing, sitting at the pont, reflecting on cameras, life, prints and who knows what.
    I could sit there a whole day myself - only to make these three shots. That's why I like to wander around with only my pinhole camera loaded with 120 roll film, only to make 4 panorama shots (4x17 cm). Life is out there - waiting for us to be photographed ...

In short: congratulations on this beautiful and worthy contribution to this MSA. Very inspiring. You've got my vote.

Bert from Holland
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    And Stone, it is an assignment, not a "winner take all" exercise!
    There's a point where you bow to greatness and become a viewer to learn for the future.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    There's a point where you bow to greatness and become a viewer to learn for the future.
    edit: "There's a point where you bow to greatness and become a participant to learn for the future."
    Bert from Holland

* My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheToadMen View Post
    edit: "There's a point where you bow to greatness and become a participant to learn for the future."
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I took this image because of two reasons: Of course I wanted to contribute to the MSA 'Salt', but also I opened a pack of Polaroid T-54 (Expired 05/06) which I had since a long time in my refrigerator. I bought it about 2009, together with a Model 545i Film Holder - and now I thought I might be a good idea to try if both work - in view of the 'New 55' Kickstarter project - and they do work fine!

Equipment Used: Linhof Kardan Color, Schneider Symmar 150mm/f5.6, 33cm total lens image distance; Exposure: 0.5 sec at f22 (incident light measurement 1/10 sec at f 22); Film & Developer: Polaroid T-54, 100 ASA instant b/w film

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Salt_850a.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	408.1 KB 
ID:	86867

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I here show this image also in an 'image only' version. Text see post above...

Name:	Salt_850c.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	303.3 KB 
ID:	86963
    Last edited by Heinz; 04-27-2014 at 09:23 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's been interesting to view all of the submissions so far. Still a couple of days to participate in this somewhat abstract topic. I look forward to reviewing it all in the following days and make a decision.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Can't wait to see what your choices will be. I have faith in your opinion, but I'm curious nevertheless.
    Good luck, I hope you sleep well the next few nights ...
    Bert from Holland

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    It's been interesting to view all of the submissions so far. Still a couple of days to participate in this somewhat abstract topic. I look forward to reviewing it all in the following days and make a decision.
    Bert from Holland

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Life has been... Trying... As of late, so I'll have to have my first submission as my only, doubt I'll get more done in the next day.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing the chosen winner, this was a good one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok here is my last minute submission... I hope it is not too late! I took this image just an hour ago, fighting the vanishing light before dawn...

You may call it 'conceptual photography' - but I call it showing a model which I set up to explain the nanometer for public outreach in our physics department.

It is based on - of course - salt! and explained as follows:

You look at this small grain of salt in the loupe - a cube with about 0.5 mm edge length (you can compare the scale paper).

Then you imagine it enlarged so much that the chlorine (or sodium) atoms (which have a distance of 0.4 nm) get the size of pinheads (about 3 mm in distance) which is shown with this cube-corner of plaster made in a replica technique. (One can 'touch' these pinhead-atoms.) - This is an enlargement by a factor of 7,500,000.

How large will then be the grain of salt?

I leave the calculation up to you... But it is no accident that the view goes out into the landscape with a few km distance...

Equipment Used: Linhof Kardan Color, Schneider Super-Angulon 75mm f5.6, a lot of lens and back tilt; Exposure: 5 sec at f32 (the loupe got some additional ilumination with a torch light); Film & Developer: Polaroid T-54, 100 ASA instant b/w film (I also made an exposure on 4x5 TriX film - but for this last minute submission the Polaroid has to be sufficient...)

Name:	Nano2_850.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	341.3 KB 
ID:	87194
    Last edited by Heinz; 04-30-2014 at 04:56 PM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin