Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,848   Online: 843

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    While the jury is still out, I had another look at all the entries in this MSA and chose my personal winner.
    One image best fitting the theme and one image I like best in itself. I won't tell which one (yet) because I don't want to influence Ned's decision, but take a look yourself and decide what image you like best before the final verdict. Just another fun part of the MSA on APUG ;-)
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

MSA Lineup Part I

Hi Everyone,

I tried to make it easier to view all the entries. Unfortunately after I'd gone through all the work of putting it together I found out that the forum limits to 10 images per post, even though there are no new images here.
    So now it is in three parts.

Here's a summary of the MSA entries, in the order they arrived:

Photographer Click Thumbnail to View Large*

Bertus

StoneNYC

Chris Lange

mooseontheloose

sly
    * Gallery-only submissions require APUG subscription to view. Join today!
    Last edited by NedL; 07-01-2014 at 10:45 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

MSA Lineup Part II

Part II:

soncorn

NedL

ajmiller

barbara ann

MattKing

NedL

sly

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

MSA Lineup Part III

Part III:

TheToadMen

NedL
    Bertus
    TheToadMen
    sly
    StoneNYC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks to everyone for the wonderful entries. I've really been left with an impossible choice. I like so many in different ways.

• Bertus: clocks and hotel cyanotypes and VDB. The VDB has a great sense of activity and bustle, but I really like the perspective and framing looking up at the New York hotel. Very good for the theme!
    • Thomas: is taking a vacation from APUG right now, although we recently saw in the gallery that he is doing well indeed. The portrait of his grandmother is heartfelt and touching.
    • Stone: IR I like the moon and that grain is out of control.
    • Chris: A well composed portrait. Fits the theme very well and I appreciate there is a kind of grit it takes to share it here.
    • Mooseontheloose: multiple expoure pinhole, I find this captivating, near and far and beyond.
    • Sly: two beautifully toned pinhole images, the first with a gorgeous sky and the second at low tide with great reflections and composition and depth. The distant people are great.
    • soncorn: Welcome to APUG! I hope you enjoyed the MSA and will participate again! This is a lovely medium format color image with a nice mix of crisp textures and colors. I like the artichokes in the background, and the people walking far away in the upper left.
    • NedL: that pinhole guy again, what's he doing here?
    • ajmiller: A superb photograph looking all the way through two windows. I'm really impressed by the textures and how the inside of the building has so much detail. Very nicely done!
    • Barbara Ann: a triplet for MSA! I like the bifocals, very good for the topic. There is something about the distance in the 9/11 memorial photograph that really touches me, that is very nicely done.
    • MattKing: I love the way the two spots of sunlight draw the eye near and then the sunlit path on the other side of the two trees draw the eye far. I love photographs that make me wish I was there and could walk down the path myself.
    • NedL, more windmills!
    • sly: This is a lovely gum print that seems to have something new every time I look at it. Wonderful reflections, and the sky and distant hills are just excellent.
    • TheToadMen: two nicely made photographs from an old cemetery. I like the first one, because it has a strong emotional impact. And nice to have an angel to offset somber thoughts.
    • NedL, windmills again!
    • Bertus: a cyanotype "selfie". This print is beautiful and the composition of the photograph is excellent. The softness on the back of her shoulder and neck give it a great sense of depth. And a nice camera too!
    • Bert: near focus on flowers, to me it makes the flowers seem almost like they are made of glass. A nice abstraction and good for this theme!
    • sly: a pair of gum prints. The first has the sky and distant trees reflected in a pond in a verdant setting, with lily pads! The second is a rock bridge scene we remember from a few months ago.
    • stone: A big pinhole photo from the recent APUG NorthEast beach party! I had to think about it, but yes, it does fit the theme! Also, I was expecting to see APUGers but maybe these are their more photogenic sides.

I'm jealous of Bert who was able to come to a choice.

Lilly's gum print with the reflected distant trees, sky, lily pads and wonderful colors, it captures my imagination. If she will be gracious enough to "host" MSA again so soon.
    Last edited by NedL; 07-02-2014 at 12:31 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NedL View Post

I'm jealous of Bert who was able to come to a choice.

Lilly's gum print with the reflected distant trees, sky, lily pads and wonderful colors, it captures my imagination. If she will be gracious enough to "host" MSA again so soon.
    Hi Ned,
    It was a very wide range of nice interpretations of the theme indeed.

My choices were:
    1. Lily: Ferns
    2. Thomas: portrait of grandmother

I think the portrait of Thomas fits the theme very well and it's an image with a personal story. I liked it very much.
    But I keep looking at the prints of Lily, especially the ferns. This is a beautiful image I certainly would like to hang on my wall.
    My overall winner was Lily, so I totally agree with your choice.

It was a great theme. I'm guessing you gave some of us a hard time to think of something to photograph to fit this theme.
    They even had to think and act outside their comfort zone.
    And isn't that what the MSA is all about? Inspiring people to make even better photographs?

So, I can't wait to see what Lily's new theme will be ...
    Bert from Holland

* My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, Ned, thanks for your kind words. I get to be the victim, er, judge again. That'll teach me to get all excited about a great topic. I'll get the new thread going right away.
    The funny thing is, the print you picked is one I'm not sure of. I'll have to put it up on the wall and think about it some more.
    silverlilly.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Monthly Shooting Assignment - May/June 2014: Near and Far

Thanks Ned!

There WERE APUGers in the photo, but it was a 2.5 minute exposure.... So they all disappeared... Lol

I guess that was part of the play, they were near to the photo, being in the scene, but far away from actually showing up in it...

Good choices, what a fun MSA!
    Last edited by StoneNYC; 07-02-2014 at 08:36 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: clarify
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    The funny thing is, the print you picked is one I'm not sure of. I'll have to put it up on the wall and think about it some more.
    Never doubt a critic or judge (if he is positive, that is)
    ;-)
    Bert from Holland

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Soooo.... What's the next assignment!!!! Post a link!
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin