Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,875   Posts: 1,520,176   Online: 1036

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    How about "In My House", or "In My Yard"
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The reason for my observation is that I see that most here on APUG always look towards the macro, like mud cracks, rocks, trees, any small item they can single out with their lens. While there is certainly nothing wrong with that approach, it seems that very few even try to look at the things in any other way (look at the gallery).

One thought, however. When you look at the work of the masters, like Ansel Adams, you see that they also mastered the grand landscape (or it could be any other grand scene). Take a look at this image, by one of our own APUG members: http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...to=19392&cat=2. How many here would feel comfortable taking this kind of shot?

Perhaps, it is time to stretch the comfort zone a bit and look outside the micro box many have placed themselves into.

Just my .02c worth,
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague View Post
    The reason for my observation is that I see that most here on APUG always look towards the macro, like mud cracks, rocks, trees, any small item they can single out with their lens. While there is certainly nothing wrong with that approach, it seems that very few even try to look at the things in any other way (look at the gallery).

One thought, however. When you look at the work of the masters, like Ansel Adams, you see that they also mastered the grand landscape (or it could be any other grand scene). Take a look at this image, by one of our own APUG members: http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...to=19392&cat=2. How many here would feel comfortable taking this kind of shot?

Perhaps, it is time to stretch the comfort zone a bit and look outside the micro box many have placed themselves into.

Just my .02c worth,
    I think the key here is not to merely step back and make a picture of a big scene but to apply the same level of organization used in "macro" work to larger areas. This organization of visual relationships on a grander scale, is in my opinion, one of the hardest things to pull off. I'd say Michael A. Smith would be one of the masters of such photography... I would site the following photograph as a breakthrough in my photographic seeing

http://www.shawndougherty.com/palmpoles.html

Simply stepping back isn't enough, but to step back and make something more than a representation of what's in front of you is the real challenge.

Just my .02c

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dougherty View Post
    I think the key here is not to merely step back and make a picture of a big scene but to apply the same level of organization used in "macro" work to larger areas. This organization of visual relationships on a grander scale, is in my opinion, one of the hardest things to pull off. I'd say Michael A. Smith would be one of the masters of such photography... I would site the following photograph as a breakthrough in my photographic seeing

http://www.shawndougherty.com/palmpoles.html

Simply stepping back isn't enough, but to step back and make something more than a representation of what's in front of you is the real challenge.

Just my .02c
    Good points Shawn. Michael's work is a good example, butI would also suggest Jack Dykinga, Joe Cornish or Ken Duncan (for panoramic format) as well.

I didn't want to make my comments too tied to landscape photography, since I am aware that not everyone likes that kind of work, but I think the same principles apply. A grand landscape, is one where the viewer is led from the foreground through the image into the distant background. Many here seem to have trouble with seeing the image as a whole - they tend to see just a single object (however that may be defined), and while they do look at the object's surrounding, they never really give consideration to how that object interacts with or is part of the overall landscape itself.

Your Palm and Poles image is an excellent image (one that I would love to see hanging on a wall), but I see it as more of an intimate landscape; I can't find the relationship of the palms to the distant mountains (this is tough to do in a panoramic format).

Once again, this doesn't mean that the intimate landscape itself is bad. In fact, I have much more trouble photographing this concept myself, than I do the grand landscape (and I see it as something I need to work on).
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I understand your position and am familier with Jack and Joe's work, thought not Ken Duncan's. I think the difference between the type of land scape photography to which you refer and that that I prefer comes down to a matter of taste. Of course, doesn't everything?

Thanks for the compliment, it is appreciated. As far as the relationship between the mountains and palm trees in my photograph, it is primarily visual. You have the overlapping and receeding triangles of dark trees and light mountains set over the trianlge of grass below, the palms and poles fill the frame in a different way and provide vertical and horizontal movement as well as texture.

"A grand landscape, is one where the viewer is led from the foreground through the image into the distant background. Many here seem to have trouble with seeing the image as a whole - they tend to see just a single object (however that may be defined), and while they do look at the object's surrounding, they never really give consideration to how that object interacts with or is part of the overall landscape itself."

Once again I don't think people have a problem so much as they simply have different asthetic tastes than you. I also think the grand lancscape can mean many things and to try and pin it down with such rules is a little silly. I guess it's neither here nor there and reguardless of what the assignment turns out to be I'm sure there will be many different types of vision represented, thankfully!

I don't mean to sound confrontational, I'm really just pissed that you're in Hawaii! Best. Shawn
    Last edited by Shawn Dougherty; 11-03-2006 at 05:01 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling, obviously I gave up editing...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How about an assignment that could apply to any subject matter, like:

Triangle or Three.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dougherty View Post
    I don't mean to sound confrontational, I'm really just pissed that you're in Hawaii! Best. Shawn
    No worries, I didn't see your comments as confrontational at all. I rather enjoyed discussing the difference between the intimate and grand landscape.

As for Hawaii, well it has been pouring rain here all week, with flooding, landslides and road closures. Today, it has finally cleared up a bit.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague View Post
    No worries, I didn't see your comments as confrontational at all. I rather enjoyed discussing the difference between the intimate and grand landscape.

As for Hawaii, well it has been pouring rain here all week, with flooding, landslides and road closures. Today, it has finally cleared up a bit.
    Glad to hear that, I enjoy it, too! Most of my friends couldn't care less about photography in general let alone have an opinion about this subject...

We have our share of rain, snow(does this make up for the landslide?), flooding and road closures here in PA, I'll bet when it clears up you've got the better end of the deal! I like the seasons, here, I shouldn't complain too much. The real problem is cloud cover. The airforce built a base nearby because this is one of the most cloud covered areas of the country... What a great distinction. Nothing a red filter can't fix I suppose. Best. Shawn

CGross
    As seen through a normal lens (pick your format), focused at infinity?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snowymtphotos View Post
    As seen through a normal lens (pick your format), focused at infinity?
    But what about LF?
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin