Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,917   Online: 981

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format

Monthly Shooting Assignment March & April 2007

Ok folks, everyone has heard that George (copake ham) was the unfortunate winner of the Jan & Feb assignment and as winner he has agreed to pick the next subject and also preside as judge. He has informed me that he has an idea (I'm sure he has more than one ... ) and he plans to reveal all very shortly, so .....

.... stay tuned ....

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

March/April 2007 MSA

Quote Originally Posted by John Bartley View Post
    Ok folks, everyone has heard that George (copake ham) was the unfortunate winner of the Jan & Feb assignment and as winner he has agreed to pick the next subject and also preside as judge. He has informed me that he has an idea (I'm sure he has more than one ... ) and he plans to reveal all very shortly, so .....

.... stay tuned ....
    Thanks John.

I want to follow on John's lead and choose an assignment that is accessible and straightfoward. But that doesn't mean you should "dampen" your creative interpretations.

The March/April 2007 MSA subject is.....

drum roll, please.....

"Working Horses"

The idea is to show a horse (or horses) actively engaged in some kind of work. See the first image below for an example. I took this last week at the Tucson Rodeo where I learned that these buckin' broncos are special performers and live on a ranch in OK with thousands of acres to roam on when they are not "doing a show".

The only prohibition in choosing a shot is to exclude "portraits" of horses just standing around. Although there is an example below (see second image) of a permitted loophole. In this case, an old shot I took of a working horse (NYC street carriage) taking an "oat break" between customers.

Oh, and by horses, I really mean any member of the Equus family so mules, cart ponies or even circus zebras etc. are certainly welcome. Just so long as they are clearly "working".

BTW, there is one other prohibition, folks are not permitted to enter a picture of their boss seated behind a desk by claiming he/she is a jackass!

Like John, I'm a liberal and supportive "judge" - so please don't hesitate to submit a photo. Oh, and extra "points" are clearly awarded for those who show horses working in "unusual" occupations. With that, I'll warn you that John already has a great idea in that category!

Finally, as it is an "assignment" please try to enter new photos rather than "archival" ones like my second shot!

Good luck to all!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bucking-I - cropped.JPG   Old-horse-dining - cropped.JPG  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The idea sounds interesting, but I am trying to think how I can participate considering the fact that I live in suburban New Jersey and the only horses I see around here are the ones grazing about in someone's fenced-in "farm", not really "working"! Anyway, this is just the beginning of March....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interesting idea, George, but in my neck of the woods, horses only work in tourist related industries in the warmer months - May thru Oct.

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Maybe I'll be able to find a cop someplace with a horse underneath, otherwise it's just going to be kids at the local riding ranch or something at a rodeo if there is one..... Wishing I was in Amish country.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider View Post
    <...>Wishing I was in Amish country.
    That gives me an idea! And I'm about an hour away from PA Amish Country. Thanks Wayne!

Images
    By the way George, that Bronco photo would make a great natural postcard for the city of Tucson.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sensanjay View Post
    The idea sounds interesting, but I am trying to think how I can participate considering the fact that I live in suburban New Jersey and the only horses I see around here are the ones grazing about in someone's fenced-in "farm", not really "working"! Anyway, this is just the beginning of March....
    They are landscape professionals. Grass cutting and fertilizing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Does anyone know what the September assignment will be? If I start now I may get something done in time!

Anyway, Working Horses is an excellent theme. We have quite a few of those where I live. But its more heavy horses plowing fields than rodeo horses.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Does anyone know what the September assignment will be? If I start now I may get something done in time!

Anyway, Working Horses is an excellent theme. We have quite a few of those where I live. But its more heavy horses plowing fields than rodeo horses.

Steve.
    I'd love to see entries with plough horses! And a mounted policeman etc. is perfect.

And remember too, at riding academies the horse IS working even if the rider is having "fun". With all these young horsewomen prancing about in the "tonier" suburbs there should be plenty of opportunities. Did someone say "Steeplechase"?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin