Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,533   Posts: 1,544,015   Online: 1066

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Monthly Shooting Assignment - Mar/Apr 2009: Why you like where you live

Hi folks. After agonizing over what would be a suitable theme for the next monthly assignment, I'd like to propose you take images that showcase why you like the place where you live.

I'm hoping to NOT see images of the Burj-el-Arab, Statue of Liberty, Brooklin bridge, Big Ben, Sydney Opera house!

No indeed.

Rather show us the little park where you go for a stroll, the beach you go to for meditation, the little shop you like to get the groceries from, the view from down the street, the "feel" of your suburb/city/town.

And above all try to show us "why", rather than "where".

Enjoy the assignment. I know for me at least, it's going to be a challenge!
    Cheers
    Noons (Nuno Souto)
    Gallery here

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow! This is an interesting assignment. And a challenging one, no doubt.

I've not been active in the assignments lately, but... I will set my mind and eyes to work, I hope to give it a try this time.

shuttr.net
    -- A sinister little midget with a bucket and a mop / Where the blood goes down the drain --

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Probably one of the best assignment ideas I have ever seen. And we can all get there... so no excuses!

Showing the 'Why' rather than the 'Where' will be the challenge.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    This is a challenging assignment nuno! I certainly know why I love my place, but not how to make a picture of it? As I said; it’s challenging.
    "the making of photographs is the prime function of the photographer". Ansel Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks like a fun challenge. Is there any statement of the current rules/guiding principles for these assignments anywhere? I gather each participant submits just one photo, taken during March and April, right?
    Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by iandavid View Post
    Looks like a fun challenge. Is there any statement of the current rules/guiding principles for these assignments anywhere? I gather each participant submits just one photo, taken during March and April, right?
    Ian
    This explains it reasonably well:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum195/...tml#post625189

And this adds a little extra info:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum195/...tml#post596793

Maybe someone could put together a one post thread with the rules, and then a moderator could make it a sticky?

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Personally I have nothing against more than one photo per person.
    The more the merrier, I reckon! So if you got more than one, go for it!

Unless everyone objects, of course.

Yes, the "why" is the hard bit. I've often been asked by folks at the site where I have my gallery, to take shots of where I live, to showcase why I love this place.

I find it extremelly hard to do. In fact I've failed miserably, so I must confess an ulterior motive to this choice: I intend to learn from your entries!

My only excuse is I see the purpose of this type of context as also a learning opportunity for all entrants: hopefully we all learn a bit more with each iteration. I hope to learn to better "talk" through my images.

In my defence, I'll submit the first one. Out of context as it was taken in late January. But it's scenes like this that make me love the place where I live.
    Last edited by nsouto; 03-03-2009 at 04:24 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Cheers
    Noons (Nuno Souto)
    Gallery here

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I really like this assignment because I adore the house and town I live in! Now,how do I show everyone WHY I love it ??
    " Practicing the arts...is a way to make your soul grow." Kurt Vonnegut

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Wow I like this...but I think it sounds easier than it is...WHY?
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This shot was taken two months ago in downtown Oakville on a Friday afternoon. To your left where the woman is look in and deciding whether to indulge is one of the best ice cream/lunch spots in town in the upper right is the Green Bean which brews the best cup of coffee in the west end of Greater Toronto.

In the Summer this square is hopping with events including performances during the Oakville Jazz festival. In short a great people place that makes living in the 'burbs bearable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Should I go in.jpg  
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin