Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,287   Posts: 1,535,333   Online: 857

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Monthly Shooting Assignment - Nov/Dec 2009: The End

We're all headed there, or thought we've already been there, or will wake up one day when we least expect it and suddenly find ourselves there. A few will temporarily fight their way back from it, while the rest of us will be quickly swallowed up and forgotten because of it. Since all people, places and things good and bad must eventually arrive there and suffer it, the Nov/Dec 2009 assignment is, quite simply,

"The End"

Please interpret and render as you see fit - literally, figuratively, conceptually, or by whatever other definition you choose. Results for the assignment are due by the final tick of the clock in the last time zone on the planet for the year 2009.

Best of luck,

Ken

P.S. For first-timers wishing to give this a try, the following standard procedures carried forward from previous assignments should be helpful:

(1) Take note of the MSA assignment, which will be inserted into the title of this thread.

(2) Take your photo(s) according to the assignment guidelines. Try to shoot something new rather than grabbing from your archives.

(3) You can post your photo in the MSA Gallery or, you can host your photo elsewhere and link to it in this thread, or, you can post it as an attachment to a message here in this thread and it will show as a clickable thumbnail.

(4) It's all for fun, there are no prizes, but at the end of the MSA, a previous winner will choose a new assignment and a new "victim" to lead the MSA in a couple of months time (it's not really monthly).

(5) How to upload: the same as in the standard gallery, press the "'All subscriber galleries", you find a drop-down menu and press the Monthly Shooting Asignment, thats it.

And two additional hints about uploading your photographs...

(6) If you aren't a subscriber, you cannot upload to the galleries. You'll need to attach your image to a post in this thread. Of course, it is a much better idea to subscribe instead ; and

(7) If you start out by uploading to the Monthly Shooting Assignment gallery, the system won't give you the chance to fill in the data fields that all the other galleries offer - i.e. to list the film and developer, location, and the other suggested information. If you like to list that information, just upload the photograph to a standard gallery, and then "edit" the upload. During the edit, you can change the gallery it is stored in.
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 11-02-2009 at 12:38 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    First-timers unite!! *holds fist in the air waiting*

I've been wating for this assignment to post. Good luck all.
    -Chris

"I'd Really Rather You Didn't Use My Existence As A Means To Oppress, Subjugate, Punish, Eviscerate, And/Or, You Know, Be Mean To Others. I Don't Require Sacrifices, And Purity Is For Drinking Water, Not People."
    FSM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting idea for this assignment Ken.

And an interesting example submission too!

This should be fun.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Interesting idea for this assignment Ken.

And an interesting example submission too!

This should be fun.
    Thanks, Matt. Thought I'd try something a little more conceptual this time around. See if I can get people to stretch a bit, if they are so inclined. But literal interpretations should also be quite doable as well.

I did think twice before posting the example submission though...

Ken

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks. Yes, a very difficult exposure driven by reciprocity. Only one frame of the twelve was even close to usable. Fourteen seconds was simply one of several brackets.

The model, my teenage son, was a trooper through it all. He held perfectly still through the entire roll on a night when temperatures were just above freezing.

It is a very difficult negative to print. The halo of light from the lens condensation (an attempt to create the appearance of fog that worked too well) overwhelms in the unmanipulated negative and must be severely burned down without showing the obvious artifacts. Then the right edge must be further burned to absolute black because that's what the subject is staring into...

I should also note that this is an archive image. It was not made specifically for this assignment, but chosen as an example seemed to me to demonstrate at least one valid conceptual interpretation of the theme.

I hope I didn't scare everyone away by using it.

Ken

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    So this was the first idea that decent came to mind. I guess I'll see whether i should go with the first answer or whether I should wait next time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The last one.jpg  
    -Chris

"I'd Really Rather You Didn't Use My Existence As A Means To Oppress, Subjugate, Punish, Eviscerate, And/Or, You Know, Be Mean To Others. I Don't Require Sacrifices, And Purity Is For Drinking Water, Not People."
    FSM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow! I'm gonna have to give this one a bit of thought.
    Thanks heaps for the challenge, Ken.
    Cheers
    Noons (Nuno Souto)
    Gallery here

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireguy2002 View Post
    So this was the first idea that decent came to mind. I guess I'll see whether i should go with the first answer or whether I should wait next time.
    I rather like this! It has a barren, skeletal end-game feel to it. But I won't say anything more, as I'm hoping to do a short paragraph or two write-up on each submission at the end.

Interesting you should mention first ideas. Whenever I do these sorts of exercises I try to routinely throw out the first half dozen ideas that pop into my head, figuring these are likely the same ideas everyone else also had pop into theirs. Then I start the real thinking, which at that point becomes much more rewarding for me.

Thanks for the submission,

Ken

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nsouto View Post
    Wow! I'm gonna have to give this one a bit of thought.
    Thanks heaps for the challenge, Ken.
    Ahh, Noons. We know each other from that "other, unmoderated" place. I remember your work as well. I have high hopes for something subtly intriguing... <grin>

Ken

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, Bertus, for your entries. Like several others I am drawn to the first image. I thought it was a real person. Then I didn't. Then I didn't really know. Then I decided it didn't really matter. Well done.

Sort of reminds me in a way of the eerie photographs I've seen of the post-meltdown region surrounding the Chernobyl reactor site. You know in the larger sense the why, but mysteries abound in the smaller details. Like that figure.

Nice interpretation!

Ken

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin