Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,736   Posts: 1,670,387   Online: 846

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Discuss Starn Twins Photos

http://www.berk-edu.com/RESEARCH/sta...mbrandtBig.jpg

it is one of their rembrandt photographs.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I suppose their MO could be described as assault on the materials and images they use. A sort of Miroslav Tichý of the photographic post production world. I think some of their images work quite well, that series on trees for example and others look like they are trying to make something of interest with their technique, but not quite succeeding. The Rembrandt image on your link is one that doesn’t work for me. But am sure others may beg to differ. The fact that they work as a pair is interesting, but sometimes wonder one of them, at different times, has different creative dominance to the other, thus cancelling each other out (or partially so). Perhaps they see themselves as the Gilbert and George of the photographic world?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi clive

i wouldn't say they assault their materials at all.
    they make these massive scale photographs/collages
    that incorporate straight photography as well as painting.
    some compare their tile/composite/collage work to david hockney.
    the rembrandt and horses ( i couldn't find the horses ) were done close to maybe 30 years ago
    and some of their current work that incorporate tiles lacks the heavy handed paint but instead
    they make encaustic painted vintage process ( like carbon prints ) but doesn't include tape.

i've no idea how they work together.
    there is an interview at the C4 gallery website ( apug member even )
    i haven't had a chance to read it, maybe they discuss how they collaborate.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin