Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,772   Posts: 1,484,373   Online: 1181

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell
    Eggleston blew that all out of the water for me, and I realized that nearly every color image up till then that I liked would have been a good B&W picture. Eggs was the first photographer to make images that depended upon the color. There have been precious few color shooters to manage to actually SHOOT COLOR: commonly, it is simply a black and white picture made on color film. Eggleston is still disturbing, because there have been so few GOOD color photographs, and Eggleston still succeeds.
    Your whole post is spot on df (btw I think almost anyone from Cape Breton Island would "get" eggleston...!) - and the above is precisely what Weston seemed to think about colour photography (and also why he felt he couldn't do it).

imo, despite the initial excitement I too felt about Hass' work, he was actually a far better b&w photographer.

I posted part of this quote recently in one of the other threads but it is, I think, another part of the key to understanding Eggleston, and fits perfectly with this wonderful photograph (along with the truth that he is still one of the few who photographs colour as colour):

"Eggleston's photographs look like they were taken by a Martian who lost the ticket for his flight home and ended up working at a gun shop in a small town near Memphis. On the weekends, he searches for that lost ticket …with a haphazard thoroughness that confounds established methods of investigation. It could be under a bed among a bunch of down-at-heel shoes; or in the Thanksgiving turkey… under the seat of a kid's looming tricycle, in the spiky ears of a mini-mouse cactuses, in a microscopic tangle of grass and weeds - in fact it could be anywhere. In the course of his search he interviews odd people - odd in the Arbus senses - who, though polite, look at him askance. He suspects some of them might once have been in a predicament similar to his own but have since put down roots...."

A few points:

I grew up in the Rockies so any picture I've probably ever seen of mountains with snow on them is ho hum. Maybe the same for people who see pictures of what they consider "every day" stuff.

To me the picture represents a campy, sort of tacky existance but still with a dignity.

The crappy old mattress that looks like it came out of a holiday trailer stuck on an old couch/glider. The horrible dress but still the dignity.

As someone who photographs people, there is always something "growing out of people's heads". It's called the background. It's just that you choose to ignore it in real life, but somehow in a photograph it's "growing out of their head".

Do I like the picture. Yes probably. It doesn't have a snapshot quality to me because a snap shooter would not have been able to compose the perfect "cross" in the picture.

So to me, in 2006 it's kind of campy and interesting.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

I re-read some of the comments of people here again, and one thing that kind of struck me was the need to discuss the "composition elements" of the picture.

I don't know if that is because we are a bunch of "art snob/critics" or what it is but I find it interesting that we do it. I'm wondering why we don't just inhale, experience or envelop ourselves with the picture and "feel" it.

It's sort of like after meeting someone, and after a while someone asks us what you think of them. Your answer is, "well, I kind of like her but her one eye is bigger than the other, her nose is a bit crooked and one or her teeth has yellow on it. Other than that she seems nice"

I guess the other version is: she's a real bitch, but compositionally, she's hot.

Michael
    Last edited by blansky; 08-03-2006 at 11:25 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    It's sort of like after meeting someone, and after a while someone asks us what you think of them. Your answer is, "well, I kind of like her but her one eye is bigger than the other, her nose is a bit crooked and one or her teeth has yellow on it. Other than that she seems nice"
    Michael
    I think we probably all know at least one person who reacts like that don't we...?!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell
    No more of a flaw than the feathers being ruffled on a bird !

We have to GET PAST the camera-club-criticism that gives images demerits for breaking some 'rule'. Academic art was dead by 1830.
    Photography HAS to catch up.

Instead, accept what the photographer did.
    Assume that he knew what he was doing,
    and let the picture work on you.

Judgementalism is a dead end,
    for the viewer,
    and the photographer.

A pristine composition is fine for something, chaos suitable for another.
    But please let the Photographer make that decision.

Not to be perjorative, nor to cast aspersions on anyone in particular or in general, but I've always thought there should be signs at gallery entrances that say "Please leave your baggage at the door."

As Don notes in this and an earlier post, it's best to receive art (or an attempt at art) as it is, not as what you want or expect it to be, or as something you would have tried to do. Try to meet it on its own terms. The other artist is not very likely to be trying to do what you do, or in your way. I always felt that if I only accepted like-minded work, I wasn't going to learn a lot. In other words, my preconceptions may not be germane to the work under consideration, and failing to consider it on its own terms might be my loss.

Eggleston is about color, but not about conventional "pretty".

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Chinn
    ...Personally I like Eggleston a lot. To me he is kind of the Harry Callahan of color photography...
    I thought that Harry Callahan was the Harry Callahan of colour photography!

For me, this whole 'quiet magic of the apparently mundane' thing is what photography does so well.

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Let me confess two things:

First, I tried Blansky's breakfast. I never got to the cornflakes, just slurped up the wine with a spoon. Lots to learn.

Second. Pictures, I usually hate them first time I see 'em. Same with music. All on my own, I'm conservative to a fault, hidebound, and hate anything new.

But given time, I usually begin to assimilate the new picture. Usually, I come to like the ones most i resisted the most.

What has this done to my style ? STYLE ? HA. There is no style. Today, i pretty much just point the camera in the general direction of what's interesting and pull the trigger.

Should everybody be this way. I don't know. Doubt it. I just know that I'm better off when I don't argue with the surprises.

Lunchtime: where's the cornflakes ?

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen B
    !

For me, this whole 'quiet magic of the apparently mundane' thing is what photography does so well.

Best,
    Helen
    After all, we ARE all pretty mundane, aren't we? Isn't that what life is, most of the time?
    Which isn't to say 'mundane' is bad....it just - is -
    Then, you look again beneath what you think is mundane, and you find the beauty of life...
    Hmmm in fact you said it better than me, Helen.
    Cate

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer
    After all, we ARE all pretty mundane, aren't we? Isn't that what life is, most of the time?
    Which isn't to say 'mundane' is bad....it just - is -
    Then, you look again beneath what you think is mundane, and you find the beauty of life...
    Hmmm in fact you said it better than me, Helen.
    Cate

When I look, I see clear as a sunflower.
    I'm always walking the roads
    Looking right and left,
    And sometimes looking behind . . .
    And what I see every second
    Is something I've never seen before,
    And I know how to do this very well . . .
    I know how to have the essential astonishment
    That a child would have if it could really see
    It was being born when it was being born . . .
    I feel myself being born in each moment,
    In the eternal newness of the world . . .
    I believe in the world like I believe in a marigold,
    Because I see it. But I don't think about it
    Because to think is to not understand . . .
    The world wasn't made for us to think about
    (To think is to be sick in the eyes)
    But for us to see and agree with . . .
    I don't have a philosophy: I have senses . . .

The startling reality of things
    Is my discovery every single day.
    Every thing is what it is,
    And it's hard to explain to anyone
    how much this delights me
    And suffices me....

pessoa

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin