Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,766   Posts: 1,484,143   Online: 768

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tina Modotti

Tina Modotti

I just came across this wonderful picture - what treat to find it (I'm sure it must be in my book of Modotti's work, but I'd never noticed it):

I think there must be a whole intriguing sub-genre of "hands photography"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The puppeteer's hands? I've seen this before.

I'm not a big fan of her photography but she did lead an interesting life and her influence on Weston is undeniable.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tim atherton
    I just came across this wonderful picture - what treat to find it (I'm sure it must be in my book of Modotti's work, but I'd never noticed it):

These look like puppet strings etc. Are they?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham
    These look like puppet strings etc. Are they?
    I have to wonder if the hands are those of Modotti's friend Rene D'Harnoncourt, who posed for her famous portrait of him as a marionette.

(Sorry about the beensy size of the picture. It was the only copy I could find on the web.)
    Last edited by c6h6o3; 12-26-2008 at 05:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Q17

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tim atherton

Some of my favorite include Stieglitz' images of O'Keeffe's hands...

=michelle=

Shooter
    35mm
    Obviously a puppeteer's hands but one who has got into a tangle with the strings, suggesting a novice or someone trying a particularly difficult maneouvre and failing. It might be a significant picture but only if you know the context. Otherwise it is just another shot of hands which anyone could have taken.

If an APUGer had put this into his /her gallery without explanation would it have merited any more than a passing glance?

pentaxuser

Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser
    If an APUGer had put this into his /her gallery without explanation would it have merited any more than a passing glance?
    certainly

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That is a wonderful photo indeed Tim. I'd not seen it before either. Thanks.

Her images of hands (and feet too) are wonderous. Especially the iconic '[font=Verdana]Hands pressed on a Tool[/font]'.

Her photography was so driven by her political agenda and symbolism that it eventually detracts a little, for me. But as a result there are fantastic and iconic images. They can stand so well on their own.

I think this is one of those.

Images
    This is a great photograph. Very expressive. If this was in the the gallery I would have expressed this same thing.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree that Modotti's photography started out showing great promise, but became too obviously political. And I think that knowledge may lead me astray with this image - is there political symbolism in the hands tangled in string? If the photograph were made by someone I didn't know so much about, I may be able to see the image better for itself.

As it is, I find the composition interesting - the position of and detail in the hands - the pattern of light and dark in the background.

Tina certainly did lead an interesting life. Though I would disagree with her politics, I have to admire someone who worked so hard for what she believed in.
    juan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin