Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,901   Posts: 1,555,803   Online: 799

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    While he is best known for the grand landscape, I probably was more inspired by some of his still lifes, images of trees and architecture. No grand landscapes on the great plains except the ever changing weather and panorama of clouds in relation to semi-rolling land. But I think his ability to really show quality of light has always been something I try to achieve.

One thing I always liked about Adams is the fact that many of his most famous images were made either a few feet from the car or from the roof of his station wagon. I think this one was from the platform he had on the roof of the wagon. I know in his youth he hiked to get images, but Clearing Winter Storm and Moonrise, Hernandez, NM were just off the shoulder of the road shots.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke
    Sorry but I find this comment rather disturbing, chilling. I know you say you don't care (disturbing enough) — but does that imply that if the camera were 180 degrees around, facing the internment camp, that such knowledge would be different?
    Allah akbar, y'all
    I find your glorification of Hezbollah rocket attacks and Islamic martyrdom disturbing and very chilling. Even more disturbing is injecting it into this thread on this forum.

Have a good'n ya'll!
    Last edited by Alex Hawley; 08-12-2006 at 03:36 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Hawley
    I find your glorification of Hezbollah rocket attacks and Islamic martyrdom disturbing and very chilling. Even more disturbing is injecting into this thread on this forum.
    I'm fairly sure Mr Bjorke didn't make the video...? I doubt he makes recruiting videos for the US Army either?

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    But, I don't think anyone can argue that AA isn't the father of landscape photography, as it is practiced now.

There is actually a far more direct and authentic lineage that goes from the
    early photographers of the western landscape, from Watkins, Russell, Jackson
    and O'Sullivan et al through to Sommer (and arguably Weston) and others, and on to Robert Adams, Connor, Baltz, Gohlke, Richard Misrach, Joel Sternfeld, Klett and others. Ansel Adams is more of a side branch - a sturdy one, but an off-shoot nonetheless.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke
    Sorry but I find this comment rather disturbing, chilling. I know you say you don't care (disturbing enough) — but does that imply that if the camera were 180 degrees around, facing the internment camp, that such knowledge would be different?

A pretty picture is just that -- a pretty picture. What you see is all you get, and to extend "knowledge" further is a very dangerous practice.
    Hmmmm....Never chilled anyone.

I react to a photograph, not the history, or purpose, or design behind it. Turn the camera around and I would react differently to what the camera was pointed at. I gave my opinion of how I felt when I first saw this image. It was in a gallery and my dad took me to see the AA exhibit. I saw and still see a barren cold unfeeling forground strewn with difficult footing, But the promise of hope is in the distance, you just have to get there, pass the tests presented in the forground.

Yes I know when it was taken and what Adams was doing when he took it. I learned that long after first seeing this image. Turning the camera around will evoke a different feeling. I have seen those images and I think Adams was not a good documentary photographer. Just my thoughts. There are much more impressing (as in impression) photographs of the Japanese Internment Camps.

SO no, my original statement should not imply that I do not care about what was behind the camera it should imply exactly what it says. When viewing this Photograph I see the presence of God. Now If my seeing the presence of God in nature in some way offends you then that is your issue to deal with not my concern. If you have a problem with my viewing a photograph on it's own without bringing in the entire history of the image then so be it. SOme folks just can't see past the uglyness to see the beauty. And no, this is not just a pretty picture to me. WHat are your thoughts on the presented photograph?

Mark

P.S. the links you posted were too slow to load, and I am impatient, so I have no idea what was in them.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Hawley
    I find your glorification of Hezbollah rocket attacks and Islamic martyrdom disturbing and very chilling. Even more disturbing is injecting into this thread on this forum.
    actually, I find the god botherers inserting stuff into the thread rather more disturbing - but then there you go

Shooter
    35mm
    It looks tremendous but I doubt it's reality. Did the sky really have that intensity? Did the shafts of sunlight really catch that one white boulder? It looks like the effect Hollywood uses when God is about to address one of his subjects. However you don't think this way when looking at it. It addresses our emotions, maybe even preconceptions of what the great outdoors look like and what lies behind the majesty of nature. I suspect it appeals most to those who can relate to it in this way. I wonder if it would have the same effect on say a non Christian non western educated Mongolian who'd spent all his life in the Gobi Desert and had never been subject to "Western" scenes and our concepts of God and the outdoors?

Interesting adverts posted by Bjorke. Both are Allah u Akbar messages but in the first it is Dow Chemicals that is portrayed in this light. I am unsure which of the two disturbs me the most. I am sure that a multi-national can have as little conscience or as much sincerity( depending on your outlook) in portraying itself as the force for good with all the other virtues that go with such a force as we might believe is used in the second.

pentaxuser

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stanworth
    Ansels work if not realistic was a representation of how he felt as one poster put it....that sounds as good as reality to me - his 'inner space' or not, his images sre a product of his reponse to a real scene and although not literal are hardly a radical departure.

Donald, your quote states that art is a departure from reality. I have always felt that whilst some photography is art, not all photography therefore is. I am not sure Ansel was an artist as such, but this definition in my head makes not a jot of difference to my admiration for his achievements.
    this apparent confusion between the thing photographed and the photograph itself often seems to arise in these discussions. The two are very different.

(One is a real "thing" - whatever - rock, mountain, pepper, garbage can, nude etc etc. The other is a real photograph - sounds simple, but people seem to tie themselves in all sorts of knots confusing and conflating the two)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tim atherton
    You don't think there was a "rush of life" when this was taken? the midst of a new war, women entering the factories, the military industrial complex winding up to full speed, families broken apart, sons, husbands and fathers going off the the Pacific Theatre, the unbelievable shock of Pearl Harbour less than a year before...?

Doesn't sound that different from today (in fact I'd say, today is still probably less stressful)
    I think it is very different today, mainly in purpose. In that day and age we mainly had one wage earner families, no "fast" food, and more community involvement. The rush today is very "me" centered and I think it effects our photography, and not in a good way. I'm sure I'm romantisizing a bit, but when you look back we had much more broad passion for our photography. Sure some of us still have it, but in our day and age of digital snapshots and self-printing, I think the craft of photography is dying. There's probably not more than a handful of people doing dye transfers anymore. A few more do carbons (my love). Soon it will be hard to do silver based.

I'm not anti-technology. Hell, I teach programming for a living. But too much technology in photography creates shortcuts. With shortcuts people don't have to put in the time and pain to really learn their craft. Soon its lost.

Steve
    Last edited by magic823; 08-12-2006 at 07:45 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    The soul never thinks without an image.
    - Aristotle

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Folks, I despair about this discussion surviving.

The conversation about the pictures is getting better.

The judgementalism about other folks comments is getting worse.

What's the deal ?

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin