Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,982   Posts: 1,523,839   Online: 981

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    The great North American leveller. It does not matter what; politcs, war, art, literature, but if it becomes too incomprehensible, reduce it to the level of sports.

Generally not a positive step though

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Amen (and I don't give a rat's a** if anyone is disturbed by that word) to everything Blansky said.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Artur Zeidler
    The great North American leveller. It does not matter what; politcs, war, art, literature, but if it becomes too incomprehensible, reduce it to the level of sports.

Generally not a positive step though
    Ah, someone who doesn't understand sports.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I once coached some adult, amateur, fairly decent string players. They would often ask my opinion about some piece or other to which they would refer by opus number, and key. I hadn't a clue which piece they were referring to, but I did learn to mumble something indistinct, but seemingly responsive. It occured to me that, as passionate amateurs, they compensated for what they felt might be inadequate in their playing by knowing that stuff....plus they genuinely cared about it. It was I who usually felt inadequate...I could play up a storm, but never bothered to remember or learn all the information they knew.

Over time, though, I've met a lot of amazing players who also know what Mozart ate for breakfast. To be dismissive of people who use their minds well is also, I think, an all too American habit.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Hawley
    Amen (and I don't give a rat's a** if anyone is disturbed by that word) to everything Blansky said.
    I must say I like that in a man. Macho enough to say "Aymen" out loud and yet the need to allude to their curses. How intriguing

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As a non-sports fan and another uneducated lout, I got to agree with blansky but, at the same time, I do enjoy reading the opinions of others on photographers and their photographs.

This particular photo is special to me. The first time I saw it was in a gawdawful reproduction in either Modern Photgraphy or Popular Photography in 1973 (I think). I had never heard of Ansel Adams before and knew little about photography except that I had a new 35mm camera and I liked taking pictures. Obviously this photograph made an impression on me. It opened my eyes to what was possible. It's a pleasant surprise to see it posted here for discussion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The local museum here has had about 50 of his images on display here for the last month. These were the first real AA prints I ever saw. I had to look at each image about 3 separate times. I was probably in there for over 2 hours. Let just say I walk out of there amazed and inspired. He is still the gold standard.

James,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tim atherton
    <snip>
    I'm occasionally tempted to side with Bazin and Kendall Watson and declare that photographs are entirely transparent and the photographic image is the object itself... but I can never quite bring myself to do it. <snip>
    That's a tempting position, especially for artistic photographs. Even though some people read symbolism and representation into all of their artistic analyses, they aren't necessarily better making qualities, i.e. something doesn't necessarily become better because it is sybolic or representative of something else. I enjoy beautiful natural scenes because of what they are; not because of what they stand for, and that's how I look at photographs as well.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tim atherton
    I'm occasionally tempted to side with Bazin and Kendall Watson and declare that photographs are entirely transparent and the photographic image is the object itself... but I can never quite bring myself to do it.
    This is, in essence, the "New Fact" position as well, no? And imo is also the basis for work like that of Nikki Lee, where the entire photographic process vanishes leaving only the photographs (which we know do not represent "the truth" -- or do they?).

To gently nudge the topic, it seems to me that confronting this issue is essential to APUGgers, who have been (at least in theory) collected into a group based upon their processes, not (necessarily) their images. An issue to be confronted at least for APUGgers who desire something from their photographic endeavors that's more than, say, a relaxing way to get stinky fingers in their retirement.
    Last edited by bjorke; 08-17-2006 at 12:39 AM. Click to view previous post history.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't like this adams' photo. it sucks.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin