Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,711   Posts: 1,548,667   Online: 1142

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    Since we are all just expressing opinion, mine is:

This is a mess.

Michael
    well, if you liked that one, my pick for second choice to go on my wall would be from a much wider field from among Atget's work, but certaily one of them would be:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My little punctum: Twas brillig.....

I'm not sure I 'get' Atget either. Part of me is suspicious of the editors that necessarily come between me and his negatives. Atget's Atget would be fun to meet.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tim atherton
    I know - that used to bug me at one time (especially as a LF photographer), but over time I came to realize it just didn't matter.
    I have come to that conclusion too. I see him in another light today than I did six years ago at the show. He's cool. Even with his too small lens circle.

BTW, I like the second one you put up. Crazy, ain't it?
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Images
    well, if you liked that one, my pick for second choice to go on my wall would be from a much wider field from among Atget's work, but certaily one of them would be:

Now this one is much better. I even like how it gives the feeling of leaning to the left. Accentuates the fog and how uncomfortable the weather appears to be. Like you just don't want to hang around.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Blog Entries
    tim

i really love atget's work too.
    the tree is great. i love how it is just there in this "place" atget photographed. from what i remember, atget used to get up at
    first light to make all his exposures, and a lot of his known work
    was made to document/record olde paris before the urban renewal project --- to create a sense of place so when it was all gone someone would remember it for what it was.

i wonder what i there now ?

john

Much better.

Believe me and not trying to be a smart ass but using some of the logic or explanations you give to pieces that you like, one could easily give the same ones to virtually anything. Great, good or horrendous.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    Much better.

Believe me and not trying to be a smart ass but using some of the logic or explanations you give to pieces that you like, one could easily give the same ones to virtually anything. Great, good or horrendous.

Michael
    now I might consider that a slight problem if I was the only person on the planet who liked, enjoyed and appreciated them (if my drum was that far off the beat I'd either be a lunatic or a genius - probably the former).

I think all the photos I've commented on here recently are considered at least Great or good by plenty of others.

As I know I'm not the only one who appreciates them, it really doesn't concern me in the least.

That you might not get them is neither here nor there. I don't happen to like grits - but apparently there are some people who do

Datchet, Berkshire UK- about 20 miles west of London
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I like some of Atget's work a lot, though I tend to regard his greatest achievements as being the creation of a record rather than artistic.

But I do think he was much better at choosing buildings than choosing trees. Both of the trees in these photographs are ugly and detract from the images, especially the first. The second tree is ugly too but there's more in the composition so it isn't so noticeable.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    this is one of my all time favorite photographs by Atget (if I could own one photo by him to hang on my wall - or one by almost anyone else for that matter - it would be this one)
    I do watch Atgets work in deep admiration, he is among my four most important photogs at all and I got a load of Atget books containing many hundreds of Atget photos.
    This one tho I haven't ever seen gefore, hard to believe it is really his photo and to speak honest, this one would surely not hang at my wall. That's my personal opinion.

bertram
    A la recherche du temps perdu: www. bersac.de

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    this is one of my all time favorite photographs by Atget (if I could own one photo by him to hang on my wall - or one by almost anyone else for that matter - it would be this one)

I titled it "one of Atget's trees", but I'm not really sure you could even call the tree the subject...
    Is your post intended to be a Jedi mind trick?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jedi_mind_trick just in case you aren't clear about the meaning.
    Don Bryant

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin