Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,937   Posts: 1,585,634   Online: 736

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

One of Atget's trees

this is one of my all time favorite photographs by Atget (if I could own one photo by him to hang on my wall - or one by almost anyone else for that matter - it would be this one)

I titled it "one of Atget's trees", but I'm not really sure you could even call the tree the subject...
    Last edited by tim atherton; 08-13-2006 at 04:04 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Since we are all just expressing opinion, mine is:

This is a mess.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have always loved some of Atget's work. Looked and looked at them in photobooks of different kind. Wondered at the light and tones. So, it came to pass that an exhibition of Atget prints, together with another of my favourites, Berenice Abbot, came to my hometown.

So, wow! This is it! Rushed off excitedly and found the exhibition. I have to say I have never been so horribly disappointed in my whole life. Fuzzy, out of focus stuff. And he just had to use the damn lens out to the limits and beyond, getting out of the illumination circle! And Berenice Abbot, while marginally better wasn't a hoot either.

But I still love Atget. In the books. And I love the ones I love, but I can't say I can get my head around all of his work. It seems to slide precariously between pure documentation (which I like) and some kind of strange "artistry" (which I can't figure). This photograph is more "artistry" to me. Too much going on. I have to hunt for a focal point or a story in this. I am also a bit disturbed by the flarey light in the upper part, compared to the relatively darker lower parts. My eyes are constantly drawn to the flarey patch on the left side of the tree. But this is where I start to think "maybe that's the whole point, this messy, obnoxious tree standing there at the pond"?

That's the wonderful thing about photography - what I love someone else can't figure at all. Same photo, different opinions.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    Since we are all just expressing opinion, mine is:

This is a mess.

Michael
    Ditto....
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    Ditto....
    WOW - I'm bowled over... what a suprise :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think he forgot to crop the top 1/3rd out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Art is the bastard grandchild of necessity. If I remember rightly, Steichen had already set up at the pictorially correct location and by the time Atget got there he had to make do with a spot in the corner behind the fence. He couldn't afford Pt over gum either and the rest, as they say, is history.

What I really want to know is why does Berenice Abbot always get so much flak for having illustrated a Physics textbook?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerevan
    And he just had to use the damn lens out to the limits and beyond, getting out of the illumination circle! And Berenice Abbot, while marginally better wasn't a hoot either.
    I know - that used to bug me at one time (especially as a LF photographer), but over time I came to realize it just didn't matter. The straight edges of the imposed frame are just as artificial an imposition. If you get the curved image circle, so what (additionally, it's actually rather closer to our own vision). If you want to fit something in an lose the corners - hey, go ahead and do it.

Nothing about Atget's photographs is precious (in both the English colloquial sense of the word as well as the broader sense)

Images
    Never got Atget's work. It always seemed he had an idea in mind but just can't communicate it to me. I like it if it had the top half cut. That way the verticle line would break the circle.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Quote Originally Posted by Struan Gray
    Art is the bastard grandchild of necessity. If I remember rightly, Steichen had already set up at the pictorially correct location and by the time Atget got there he had to make do with a spot in the corner behind the fence. He couldn't afford Pt over gum either and the rest, as they say, is history.

Better Matt?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin