Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,596   Online: 835

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lee
    Kino,

that is very funny when you said. "Art without pleasure? You post modernist wag! "

lee\c
    Lee,

Just trying to avoid one of those horrid, art world knuckle-bruising brawls that erupt here from time to time by defusing the situation with humor...

Frank

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Still....

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kino
    I don't think I really understand your position at all.

OK, so tell me if I am wrong, but your thesis seems to imply a universally acknowledged "ultimate interpretation" of these photos IF you think you can divorce personal aesthetics from dissection of the image itself.

Of course, if you have in excruciating detail a treatise on what the photographer intended, you could do some dry, academic dissection of a photograph that mechanically reinforces the STATED goals of the photographer, but that is nonsensical in light of how the viewer interprets the photograph. How can you tell the viewer, "your interpretation of the image is wrong; here's the real scoop"; if that is the case, the artist should be a pamplet writer, not a photographer.

I thought art and photography was about, among other things, conveying ideas, concepts and feelings via abstractions inherent in the mechanism of the medium. If the means of conveying these constructs fail (by the hand of the artists themselves), shouldn't that be a valid area of study?

I do not know of any situation whereby you purchase a photograph with a legally binding set of rules of interpretation OR why I should be bound by those rules!

Hmmm... lots to respond to here maybe...? I'm not sure if it's one point or several separate and subtly differentiated ones.

Anyway - just to recap - are you thinking that I'm suggesting that there's only a single, proper interpretation? If so - I grievously apologize. I'm not saying that at all. I'm trying to gently suggest that there are as many interpretations as there are people multiplied by 'moods of those people'.

I'm just saying that - well, if you're going to say "that sucks" or "I don't like that" - well, then let's hear about WHY you don't like it. I'd really like to get some constructive image talk going here... I think it'd be just amazing to do that. I see people here starting, just starting to talk about these things - and then suddenly, it's all "amidol this" and "stand develop that"... people seem VERY uncomfortable with talking about these things.

As for the intentions of the person who made the photo - I wasn't suggesting it was at ALL mandatory. I fully agree with Blansky and others that an image SHOULD stand on it's own. BUT - if we're going to look at several images by the same photog - then I thought it would be really helpful/useful to hear what THEY said about their own work. But not necessary.

The only think I care about at ALL - is that we TALK and in a constructive way... push things to where we start seeing similarities and differences - and start understanding what it is that photographers think when they're setting up a shot. It seems like a good thing to me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I suspect that most here are responding to these images as photographers and not as artists. Friedlander and certainly Siskind approched this work trying to solve not photographic problems but ART problems. One of Siskinds best friends was an abstract expressionist in the 50's and 60's and Siskind was often invited to exhibit with this group of artists. In fact, the only one working in photography. I believe that Franz Kline was the abstract expressionist that was Aaron Siskind's friend.

lee\c
    Yes it was Franz Kline. Siskind later did a number of images of grafiti and abstract paint patterns on walls as an homage to Kline who died pretty young (mid 40s?) from I believe a heart condition.

From what I have read in different sources, Siskind hung with Kline, DeKooning, Motherwell, Barnett Newman among others.
    Last edited by Jim Chinn; 08-14-2006 at 11:04 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    "The only think I care about at ALL - is that we TALK and in a constructive way... push things to where we start seeing similarities and differences - and start understanding what it is that photographers think when they're setting up a shot. It seems like a good thing to me."

I thought that we were doing a good job here with that. Several of us anyway.

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, I think there is a difference. What lable? I think Siskind was a painter in photographic clothes. He used photography in a way that had not been done before of at least not by very many before him. His visual language was influenced by painters not photographers. He just used photography to express that visual language. I think!

lee\c
    Lee - to me a photograph is a photograph is a photograph. It's a guy behind a camera trying to make an image which pleases him. Some have artistic pretention, some are pastoralists, some are into 'street photography' - but I'd like to include in my definition of photography 'making images with a camera'. I just think that when one starts compartmentalizing - one also starts making excuses. That also creates (a little bit of) alienation - which I'd prefer to avoid. Sure, someone like Siskind might be thinking something different from someone like Eggleston, or Robert Adams, or JH Lartigue... but in the end - I think they're just human beings looking at their contact sheets - saying "oh, I like that one - it's better than this one". And they don't often know the reasons why. And to me, that's where the barriers collapse.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I thought that we were doing a good job here with that. Several of us anyway.
    lee\c
    I fully agree. I'm proud of this 'getting into it' thing. I'm just saying that's what I care about. I was just trying to react to an earlier comment or two in the thread - and suggesting (perhaps wrongly) that if people are just going to say they don't like something - that maybe they try to suggest why they don't. Everything should be (in an ideal world mind you!) constructive, and not simply 'negative'. Even a 'negative' comment could be a really good thing if it's based on keen observation and an open mind. Know what I mean? I'm not nay-saying or pot shooting... and I'm certainly no moderator - it's just a hope, and I was hoping I could encourage others.

that's all.
    I hope that makes SOME sense.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Chinn
    Yes it was Franz Kline. Siskind later did a number of images of grafiti and abstract paint patterns on walls as an homage to Kline who died pretty young (mid 40s?) from I believe a heart condition.

From what I have read in different sources, Siskind hung with Kline, DeKoning, Motherwell, Barnett Newman among others.
    I'm actually a HUGE siskind fan. He was one of the first photographers who REALLY inspired me. At least when I was a teen. But googling for that image sort of brought it all back. It's actually a great thing - doing a google image search for a certain name - it gives you a huge rich catalog of works by them... right before your eyes. Great stuff.

Friedlander's always left ME a little bit cold, too. But I do have respect for the guy - I think he really deserves it... very few people were doing anything as brave as he did when he was doing his thing.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Sparky,

You are possibly correct. Quite possibly they (Siskind and his ilk) don't know the reasons why but I think they recognize there is a question and the work may or may not supply the answer. We all look at images the way you described but there may be more there than we originally think there is. I have run across negs and contacts from several years ago and thought, "Man, that is a much better image that I originally thought". I certainly don't have any answers.

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky
    I'm just saying that - well, if you're going to say "that sucks" or "I don't like that" - well, then let's hear about WHY you don't like it.
    Fair enough! I'd like to tackle this thread again when I have more brain power, but for now, to bed and sleep.

I need my sleep the deal with the mind-numbing, buracracy (see I can't even spell bureaucracy) of work.

And people wonder why Wallace Stevens was a poet...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin