Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,273   Posts: 1,534,539   Online: 986

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    And I have to stop being such a thread whore! Can you tell I'm actually avoiding doing construction work at home???

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I am a big fan also of Siskind and he was a very early inspiration when I was a young man. I saw the 100 year retrospective at the Center for Contemporary Photography in Tucson several years ago. Aaron would have been 100 years old. There was a lot of work and it covered all the different aspects of his life. Great show.

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky
    And I have to stop being such a thread whore! Can you tell I'm actually avoiding doing construction work at home???
    LOL. Good night.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lee
    Sparky,

You are possibly correct. Quite possibly they (Siskind and his ilk) don't know the reasons why but I think they recognize there is a question and the work may or may not supply the answer. We all look at images the way you described but there may be more there than we originally think there is. I have run across negs and contacts from several years ago and thought, "Man, that is a much better image that I originally thought". I certainly don't have any answers.

lee\c
    I know this is going to be kind of a lame comment - but I believe it to be true... but "isn't that just the incredible beauty of it though??".

This is one of the things I LOVE about photography. I guess you could say it about a lot of things. And this is exactly WHY I was trying to suggest that there are many many different ways of looking at the same photograph. I think that in looking at, and talking about images - as long as you keep the ego out of it - and keep it free of 'judgement' - you can never go wrong!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kino
    LOL. Good night.
    night, all.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    agreed and good night.

lee\c

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hey Sparky....is there someplace we can see some images you made?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by david b
    Hey Sparky....is there someplace we can see some images you made?

uh oh...! Am I going to get TRASHED???

I hope to have some web stuff up in the next few weeks. But I'm really sorely behind. I don't have anything up anywhere that I'd be proud of - or that really demonstrates my personal work (mostly commercial stuff for the moment - but I'm shy about it!). I started a thread a week ago or so about finding my old negatives - you can see some stuff I did when I was 18 there if you're interested (just click on my name and follow the threads....).

Otherwise - when my sites are done - I'll make them public. If there's anything in particular you'd like to see - give me a holler by PM.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    No one will be getting trashed. You seem well versed in photography and are very capable in talking about it, so I was just wondering what kind of work you do.

No big deal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks like a great discussion last night! I'm with Jim Chinn on Friedlander, I think. I have looked at his work from time to time, and when I first encountered it, I just did not like it. And, yet, I was drawn to keep looking.

The pictures appear to be about nothing. But, I have to say, that as I've looked at his work again, and again, I've started to like it more. These empty streetscapes, telephone poles, mailboxes, fences all organized within the frame to create a kind of tension and build such distinct view of America. As mentioned before, quite banal, too. But then again, so is much of the American landscape. You "think" you've seen these in everyone's snapshots albums because his subject matter is so commonplace. And he's really making you look at just how commonplace it is. I think his work is very intriguing, and I come back to it a lot. It's worth the effort. I wish I could have seen the retorspective in New York last year!

Sisskind, on the other hand... just can't get myself interested in his work.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin