Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,905   Posts: 1,555,844   Online: 792

Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format Pan

Discuss a Lee Friedlander photograph

Having been quite pleasantly surprised by some of the photographs in this "discuss a" sub-forum, I wanted to add one of my own:

this is one from Lee Friedlanders book and project Sticks & Stones: Architectural America, which is one of my favourite books of his.

For me Friedlander is like a free-form jazz player of photography, improvising, breaking the rules, taking off in a new and unexpected direction, but always drawing you along with him and always undisputedly a master of his instrument

There were some other pictures from the same project I had difficulty chosing from. I may post them a little later

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    here are some of the others I had trouble deciding between (so maybe that's four to discuss?)

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I think the bottom two images are really the same. the bottom one just has more info in it.

lee\c

The photographs in themselves aren't overly interesting to me but as a body of work that you've shown he is a master of creating tension.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Two are rather static, and I have no idea what they are about. But the OP and the third post have pulse. I'm no fan of Friedlander in general, but sometimes there's a goodie!
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    I dislike all 4 photos.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The first one kinda interesting, but the rest are meh. The third one is too flat and they all but the first one I don't think are composed well. (To me they look like what I would expect from a basic photography class.)

Steve
    The soul never thinks without an image.
    - Aristotle

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Can we raise the bar on the level of critique in here - ? Or is this sort of typical? (no offense intended - but I'm not sure how you can really learn anything with 'i like' and 'i don't like'). Perhaps a statement BY Friedlander ABOUT his work might be somewhat in order - so that we can approach the work in a way that doesn't come from our own egos...? Does that sound reasonable? Or should I just piss off?

(just trying to make things a bit more interesting here!)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I don't really care what he has to say about his work. They don't have any appeal for me. They don't speak to me at all. I can see this kind of photograph in albums across america.
    Prints available in the APUG GAllery
    www.gaylarsonphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    With all due respect, Gay. I doubt you'd see photos like this in albums. But I can understand how they might look that way on the very surface.

In my experience - it can be difficult, if not impossible, to know how to respond to a photograph without understanding the intent of the artist. This might not be true with many 'modernist' works which are more about simple composition, design and surface characteristics.

Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin