Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,783   Online: 730

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Discuss a Jacques-Henri Lartigue Photograph

(sorry, I have no way to host this now, so click below)

Sure, it is probably a cliche to say you like this photograph, but it is one of my most favorite images of all times.

The photograph screams speed and the distortion of space by velocity. For that alone, I find it... wonderful.

Not the greatest critique in the World.

"Car Trip, Papa at 80 kilometers an hour" (1913)

"Scan courtesy of Masters of Photography "
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lartigue_car_trip.jpg  

Images
    IMO one of the 10 greatest photographs ever made. According to what he later told St. Ansel, Lartigue, (who was still in his teens when me made it), know the result he would get by panning his camera as its vertical focal-plane shutter descended across the film plane. Thus, everything from the oval wheels to the leaning spectators was intentional. I don't believe that anyone else has ever done anything like it (although, of course, all racing cars photographed at speed with a Graflex or Zeiss Contax have oval wheels).

I love that he took this when he wa sonly 16 or 17 and that his best and most influential photographs comes from the years he was still just a "youth"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's one of the few really superb examples in the medium of the confluence between technology and aesthetic...!

(i.e. - an early focal plane shutter creating a distortion that really makes for a communicative and transcendent image)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Lartigue is a unique figure in photography. He came from a well-to-do family, all of whose members seemed to have been obsessed with technology, he himself seem to have had an intuitive understanding of how a camera worked (as Bill Mitchell mentions), and he took to photography like a duck to water but without having his imagination cramped in any way by any ideas of the "right" way to take "proper" photographs. The results I think have an undiluted enthusiasm and energy and a strength of personal vision which I really can't recall seeing anywhere else.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here is a link to another photo of his that knocks my socks off; it so evokes the "desperate fun" of wealthy Pre WWII Europe (at least as I interpet it), it is shocking... (click on photo #2 "Renee - Paris to Aix-les-Bains", 1931)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David H. Bebbington
    Lartigue is a unique figure in photography. He came from a well-to-do family, all of whose members seemed to have been obsessed with technology, he himself seem to have had an intuitive understanding of how a camera worked (as Bill Mitchell mentions), and he took to photography like a duck to water but without having his imagination cramped in any way by any ideas of the "right" way to take "proper" photographs. The results I think have an undiluted enthusiasm and energy and a strength of personal vision which I really can't recall seeing anywhere else.
    Your post spurred me to grab a book off the shelf that has a number of his images. Looking at those pictures makes me think of someone who always seemed to have a child's sense of wonder of the world around him.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David H. Bebbington
    He came from a well-to-do family...
    yeah - don't they all!!! Bastards.

LOL

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Really agree with the view that this image is probably one of the best photos ever made. Simply fantastic usage of available gear at the time, and fully intentional in rendering. It would be tough to criticize the image at all, except maybe that it remained relatively unknown for such a long time.

What amazes me is the relative lack of progress of so many photographers after the time of this image. While we obviously have many great photographs that come after this time period, there are rare exceptions that express a scene in a uniquely photographic way. What I mean by that is had an illustrator or painter been near that seen at that same moment, the resulting image would have very likely been quite different.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio
    http://www.allgstudio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hard to dislike Lartigue! Full of life, and as someone said, childlike wonder.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin