Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,291   Posts: 1,535,438   Online: 835

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by donbga
    You are getting warm Tim. The photographer is a her, but not Dorthea Lange.
    Oh - I know who it is - as soon as you mentioned her career, it came back to me :-)

another nice one - 1947
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails nyc_el_santas.jpg  

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by tim atherton
    another nice one - 1947
    Good work, Tim. Shall we continue to keep everyone in the dark?
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Not sure who that is, but it sure looks like the 125th St. stop on the 1 train.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tsk Tsk - Tim gave the game away... Even larger, the original image still looks a lot like a painting!

Never heard of her before... now looking for more...

Cheers, Bob

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Automat, 1948. Much more obviously a photo, even in the web version
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails nyc_automat_man.jpg  
    Jonathan
    -----------------------------------------------

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tim atherton
    another nice one - 1947
    http://www.apug.org/forums/attachmen...achmentid=5632

Despite Tim's attempts to throw us off with the erroneous date - it is clear that this is a picture of a couple of his fellow al-Quedda operatives who are attempting to "blend in" to the local popluace by wearing current fashions.

As anyone in NYC who rides the subways will tell you - the first thing we need to do is check their "backpacks" for explosives.

"Tell a police officer, tell an MTA employee [if you can find one], but don't keep it to yourself." Even if it is Santa bringing you Aunt Selma's fruitcake!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    At the risk of appearing cantankerous, this thread irritates the hell out of me. What is the point of it? Essentially, "I know something you don't". Well, yes. No doubt you know lots of things I don't, just as I am very likely to know various things you don't.

All right, a thread that says "Who else knows the work of XYZ?" may not be compelling, but sometimes we learn about a new photographer whose work we like. Turning it into a low-grade quiz seems to me to add nothing.

It's rather like those 'What is it?' pictures, shot from odd angles or very close up, that appear in magazines from time to time (and have for as long as I can remember). My reaction to those has long been, "WHO CARES?" Either tell me something useful, or shut up.

Please don't take this as a personal insult, just as an observation on a particular style of thread -- and I'd be interested if others feel the same way about 'teasers'.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At this point I tend to agree with Roger, a small amount of teasing is possibly acceptable (though have to say I'm not quite sure of the point of it) but I think it's gone on long enough....

Also not sure about giving controversial quotes without soures (previous thread - sorry Tim!). If someone disagrees, you can pat them on the head for getting it right. If they agree, what a fool you make of them when the disreputable source is revealed.....

I have to say generally I prefer it when all relevant information is given up-front.
    Cate
    (So WHO IS IT?? )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Who cares - ? They're boring photos anyway (not to be cantankerous - but get real!). I have to second roger on this stupid game biz. Maybe if you'd labelled the thread "guess the obscure third-rate photographer".

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin