Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,220   Posts: 1,532,313   Online: 945

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer
    Well, curiosity got the better of me and I did a quick search.

Hope I'm not spoiling the fun, but think it must be Esther Bubley, who I confess I hadn't heard of before. Great name (almost as good as 'bloviated' ). Seems like she has very solid credentials...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esther_Bubley

Cate
    Thanks for the link, Cate. I love discovering great photographers I've never heard of!!

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer
    Well, curiosity got the better of me and I did a quick search.

Hope I'm not spoiling the fun, but think it must be Esther Bubley, who I confess I hadn't heard of before. Great name (almost as good as 'bloviated' ). Seems like she has very solid credentials...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esther_Bubley

Cate
    Cate,

You win the rubber cigar. Good work!
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, assuming that it IS by Esther Bubley (which hasn't yet been confirmed) I'm glad to have been informed/reminded of her.

(Sorry, it HAS been confirmed - I'm too late on the draw today I guess)

Having said that, this would been more:

1.) fun if the poster got around to telling us the answer sooner before things turned into an argument which you should assume will happen if you wait long enough since they almost always do, and

2.) useful if we all discussed the aspects of the photo which made it work so well.

The composition is obviously wonderful, I'd love to see a larger version to better appreciate the painterly effect and better understand how it was acheived. This is one that I think would not have been nearly as effective in B&W, she apparently thought so too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga
    Cate,

You win the rubber cigar. Good work!
    Thanks Don. If I'd known there was a prize I wouldn't have complained.
    (But do it again and it'd better be a real one ).

Cate

Quote Originally Posted by nsmith01tx
    Well, assuming that it IS by Esther Bubley (which hasn't yet been confirmed) I'm glad to have been informed/reminded of her.

www.estherbubley.com

http://www.estherbubley.com/nyc_el_frame_set.htm

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks

One further thought is that using another photographer's picture in this way, without a credit, is almost certainly illegal. Actually it's illegal with a credit, but most people aren't going to be too worried about that.
    R.
    In most jurisdictions this falls clearly under Fair Dealing (or Fair Use depending on where you are.)

As much as some people dislike them, hotlinks would also be more preferable than saving a file to APUG, as you are then not even posting the photograph on this site, merely giving a visul link to its original loaction.

(Not that it would prevent someone choosing to pursue a lawsuit nor does it excuse any real infringements, but jurisdiction in such cases is interesting. The copyright law which applies is always that where the infringement took place - which is where?)

Other than that, if such threads bug you, it probably has more to do with you than the content of the thread. Climbing onto an imaginary high horse usually does not help much with that.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Artur,

No, I don't think it would be fair dealing, because that's normally for the purpose of review or discussion of a photographer's (or writer's) work, and concealing the photographer's name rather removes it from this realm. As I said, no one is likely to bother but if you annoy enough people...

Nor do I see an 'imaginary high horse'. I see a statement about a particular kind of thread, with an express rider that it was the type of thread that annoyed me, not a personal attack. Perhaps I could have expressed it better, but at least I tried.

The response was then a personal insult in one post, and glee at annoying me in another. .

Would someone be that rude face-to-face? Probably not. Not unless they really enjoy the occasional punch in the mouth. Saying 'Ah, but it's the internet' is no excuse.

Cheers,

Roger

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Moderator's note:

I've updated the title of the thread with the photographers name.

Now will you please all be nice to each other, and stop using expressions like "bloviated old fart"?
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    35mm
    I can be as polite as can be on this one because all I can see in the space for the attached thumbnails is empty space. I notice that the latest gallery photo is missing again.

Anyone else having this problem? There was no problem this afternoon. Looks like I need to get my insults in quick in future before the phoots disappear and I am left wondering what it is that's exercising the community to have a go at each other.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser
    I can be as polite as can be on this one because all I can see in the space for the attached thumbnails is empty space. I notice that the latest gallery photo is missing again.

Anyone else having this problem? There was no problem this afternoon. Looks like I need to get my insults in quick in future before the phoots disappear and I am left wondering what it is that's exercising the community to have a go at each other.

pentaxuser
    All looking fine to me - everything where it should be. Try refreshing the browser window - you may have a cached version that needs clearing.

As for the rest, I see we are in cat-herding mode again...

I for one am grateful for the original thread as it has introduced me to a class act of whom I was not previously aware.

Cheers, Bob.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin