Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,955   Posts: 1,586,026   Online: 698

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Taking the context issue aside, I'll say that the composition is quite eassy, the photographer didn't take risks. Good use of the diagonal to balance but, the red garment disturbs me. Maybe another shot living this red thing out of the girls hand could make it better, IMHO.
    Jose A. Martinez

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is a good example of how the experience of the viewer determines how the photograph is read. I have two daughters, 10 and 6 (6 about the age of this girl I would say). This is pretty simple modeling behaivor, little girl emulating mom or what she might see on TV or in a movie. She appears to have her finger nails painted, maybe as a prelude to being dressed up for a real event or just for play. Actually looks to me like she may be getting ready to be part of an event such as flower girl at a wedding. Trying big girl shoes just a whim of fancy while they are there.

For me the best part of this is the very intense look on her face. That tells me she is not just playing dress up but is trying hard to imitate a specific moment or circumstance she has seen.

Then again the face and pose could be nothing more then a reaction to not being able to keep her balance in the high heel shoes.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Okay, now it's time for the second part of the experiment.

Watch http://www.photographychannel.tv/video/greenfield1.html

For more on the context look here (ignore the D word)

Do you respond to the picture in the same way?
    Last edited by bjorke; 08-18-2006 at 04:18 PM. Click to view previous post history.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I wasn't familiar with this photo project before viewing this picture, but my take on the photo before seeing the commentary was the same as after. I don't think her premise or findings were at all surprising or revealing, but that could partly be because I photograph so very, very many children. Girls start this behavior early on, and there's no question that they're largely reflecting the values and norms of their society. On the other hand, children are sensual (please don't confuse with "sexual") and exhibitionist by nature; society and experience only make it more pronounced.

It should come as a shock to no one that girls and women judge each other, have body insecurities, and say hurtful things about each other's appearances. LOL.

- CJ

I think every thinking human being in western culture understands the dichotomy that women are subjected to and also subject themselves and their female peers to.

To me the video is no great revelation about anything, and the picture still stands alone and has not changed in my eyes.

I photograph lots of little girls. I've had 3 year olds slip the shoulder of their shirt off their shoulder and give me a Brittney Spears cheeky look. I've had very young girls flirt with me in very inappropriate ways.

But little girls have always tried on their moms clothes and posed and fantasied about being "older". Human beings are sexual beings and even at a very young age exhibit signs of what their little minds are thinking.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    I photograph lots of little girls. I've had 3 year olds slip the shoulder of their shirt off their shoulder and give me a Brittney Spears cheeky look. I've had very young girls flirt with me in very inappropriate ways.

Michael
    Slut.

Kevin,

I am curious. You called this an experiment. What was your point? Were you trying to see if our minds changed in light of the context of the photograph.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    I think every thinking human being in western culture understands the dichotomy that women are subjected to and also subject themselves and their female peers to.

To me the video is no great revelation about anything, and the picture still stands alone and has not changed in my eyes.

But little girls have always tried on their moms clothes and posed and fantasied about being "older". Human beings are sexual beings and even at a very young age exhibit signs of what their little minds are thinking.

Michael

That's hot.

(kidding kidding kidding!!!!)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have no real desire to be disparaging, but (and bear in mind this is a European perspective) ultimately I feel Greenfield ends up stating the obvious and pulling her punches - I keep wishing she would follow through and say something about the extreme fragmentation and commercialization of modern society (particularly US society) and the fact that "Girl Culture" as a part of culture in general is crucially shaped by pressure from large corporations wishing to sell goods without any regard to wider implications. I am aware that this is not easy to do in the USA, but people like Michael Moore and Morgan Spurlock have proved that it is at least possible.

I'm not positive but I believe she is a product of LA, a city that is so far over the top on "image" that most people find it humorous if it wasn't so sad and so influential. Actually almost every city in the US has gone Valley Girl as far as the female adolescent lifestyle goes.

As for people like Michael Moore he is regarded as a bit of a hypocrite who puts his "aw shucks" persona on and parades around with his crew playing gotcha with his "victims". He has gone Hollywood when it suits him, and dirt poor when he's making his points.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    35mm
    The photographs are interesting individual elements that when put together in the manner they have been tell a story that for me seems to be far-fetched and very unbalanced view of young womanhood.

Of course it has been a long time since I have lived in LA as a young lady and my memory and age could well be skewing my attitudes.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin