Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,487   Posts: 1,571,321   Online: 869

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer
    You just made me think - that could be taken to be a pretty good description of Bacon's work, also?
    A key reason why I love this shot so much, actually, just as the Dylan Thomas shot echos, in some inscrutable Brandty way, Thomas's works.

(Not all of Brandt's celeb portraits work well tho, imo they're often over-styled in a way that I don't feel adds to the portrait -- and some subjects, such as Dali & Picasso, probably required something stronger, Brandt's portraits of them seem rather pedestrian. For Robbe-Grillet, Brandt works wonderfully. For Alec Guiness, not so much)

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke
    A key reason why I love this shot so much, actually, just as the Dylan Thomas shot echos, in some inscrutable Brandty way, Thomas's works.

(Not all of Brandt's celeb portraits work well tho, imo they're often over-styled in a way that I don't feel adds to the portrait -- and some subjects, such as Dali & Picasso, probably required something stronger, Brandt's portraits of them seem rather pedestrian. For Robbe-Grillet, Brandt works wonderfully. For Alec Guiness, not so much)
    What do you think of the one of Rene Magritte?

http://www.robertkleingallery.com/ga...2_itemId=16463

p.s. I also think the one of Paul Scofield really worked well....
    Cate

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer
    What do you think of the one of Rene Magritte?
    Something a bit twee about it, don't you think?

The similar Miro works better for me

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have always liked Brandt. the Bacon image is a real masterpiece. The sky, the lamppost and the way the trees mimic his mop of hair.

I have always liked his nudes. A very similar approach to Kertesz in breaking all the rules. He really stretched the genre with perspective, lighting and printing. Once I compiled a list of my favorite 100 photographs that I would purchase if I ever had the money. This Brandt nude was close to the top of the list.

http://www.billbrandt.com/Silverprints/Pages/18_1.html

Totally brilliant in composition, mysterious and erotic at the same time.
    Last edited by Jim Chinn; 08-19-2006 at 10:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Egan
    ... I don't know about anyone else but whenever I look at this image all I can see is a young Mick Jagger in the face of the maid on the left!!
    Tony,

You are absolutely correct - Mi..lord...it's Mick's mum!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the Paul Delany biography: "Bill Brandt A Life". Very comprehensive I think, both in respect of Brandt's personal history and the background to many of his photographs. The 100 duotones are of good quality.

I have too many favourites to mention...

Cheers, Bob.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin