Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,858   Online: 945

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I first saw this I was really confused. I thought it was going to be a thread about photographs by:

Mischa Barton

I guess I've watched too much "guilty pleasure" TV. :rolleyes:

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm sure he has a nice car and a fabulous house. His work is so very much its own brand, it's certainly not something one could hire him to do or find a lot of commercial application for. Instead it seems designed to be sold in galleries -- not the sort that would sell Penn or Gursky, but the sorts one finds at malls or along tourist strips like Kalakaua Blvd. I don't find that his work is so much rife with symbolism as that it's rife with faux symbolism, that his imagery looks like it should mean something but in fact it doesn't. But it sells for $2300 a pop and makes for, you know, a nice conversation piece and fills more space than a similarly-priced Lladro figurine.

Plus, little green footballs likes him, and you know how they are about manipulated photos and all.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Scandalous~! Bjorke - you're so BAD. I like it. Though I'd say on the whole - that's a pretty accurate assessment, for me at least. It's as though the work was made from a fairly subtle and well-thought out list of specifications.

Where's the beef?

Quote Originally Posted by bjorke
    I'm sure he has a nice car and a fabulous house. His work is so very much its own brand, it's certainly not something one could hire him to do or find a lot of commercial application for. Instead it seems designed to be sold in galleries -- not the sort that would sell Penn or Gursky, but the sorts one finds at malls or along tourist strips like Kalakaua Blvd. I don't find that his work is so much rife with symbolism as that it's rife with faux symbolism, that his imagery looks like it should mean something but in fact it doesn't. But it sells for $2300 a pop and makes for, you know, a nice conversation piece and fills more space than a similarly-priced Lladro figurine.

Plus, little green footballs likes him, and you know how they are about manipulated photos and all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke
    .....Instead it seems designed to be sold in galleries -- not the sort that would sell Penn or Gursky, but the sorts one finds at malls or along tourist strips like Kalakaua Blvd.

While his work is not my cup of tea, you are wrong about where his work has been sold. When I was represented by JJ Brookings in San Francisco, prior to their move to San Jose, there were plenty of Penn prints alongside Misha Gordin's.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bill, Misha has a nice house? Then clearly he's not an artist because as everyone knows all true artists are starving. Maybe if I skip breakfast my prints will have that much more significance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As someone else said, he is more artist/photographer than the other way around. In that sense he is carrying on in the best traditions of the Dada/Surrealists who used photography as simply a tool and not as an end to itself such as Man Ray, Herbert Bayer, Gyorgy Kepes and dr. Franz Roh as well as his contemporary Jerry Uselemann.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Q17

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by billschwab
    Misha is a great friend and has an incredible mind. Although he moved from Detroit several years ago, it is wonderful when he comes "home" to visit. He came late to the digital side and although digi would be an obvious choice for making his images easier, he rejects Photoshop as a means to create his work. All is still done via enlargements, cutting, pasting and reconstruction. The man in no way considers himself a photographer and is somewhat insulted when considered one.

B.
    Small world, Bill. Misha is a friend of mine, too, now living about an hour north of me.

I would agree wholeheardedly with the assessment of his dislike for discussion of camera technique. He is concerned only with representing his heart in a finished work, all else can go to heck.

My understanding is that he does a run of ten images in the darkroom and the process can sometimes take up to a week to complete these ten images.

=michelle=
    “While photographs may not lie, liars may photograph. It becomes necessary then to see to it that the camera we depend on contracts no bad habits.”

Lewis Hine

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin