Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,693   Posts: 1,548,958   Online: 783

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

Discuss Misha Gordin's Photographs

I have long had an appreciation of Misha Gordin as a photographic artist. To me his images are rife with symbolism. What are your thoughts of these images?

http://bsimple.com/Liquid%20Shadow.htm

http://bsimple.com/doubt8.htm
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Donald, my friend, I'm not clever enough.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Images
    I like his work, but I think he leaves very little to the imagination of the viewer, but you are right, rife with symbolism.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    These are the kind of "images" that make me think that how can we now ever know what is really a "photograph"?

Before PS these images would have been very intriguing - now - maybe they are just PS tricks?

Sorry - too "slick" and "gimmickry" for my taste....

He does seem to like "tiny moons" though - is that a "symbol"?

I think he takes photography to a different level.

He uses the medium as an illustrator would. He would be what I'd call an artist/photographer, where more mainstream work is perhaps
    photographer/artists.

I like his work but it is too contrived/slickly produced/concept oriented for my taste. But I do think it is important work.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    He is more an Art Director than a Photographer. There is no doubt that they are well produced. I'm not into this concept but it would be perfect for someone who is.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Misha is a great friend and has an incredible mind. Although he moved from Detroit several years ago, it is wonderful when he comes "home" to visit. He came late to the digital side and although digi would be an obvious choice for making his images easier, he rejects Photoshop as a means to create his work. All is still done via enlargements, cutting, pasting and reconstruction. The man in no way considers himself a photographer and is somewhat insulted when considered one.

B.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I find his work interesting in weird sort of way but I agree I find them too contrived.
    Prints available in the APUG GAllery
    www.gaylarsonphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    His work shows great technical proficiency, but it is of no interest to me. Not being an artist myself, I would be hard to convince that there is no "PS" involved. Somehow everything is too perfect. I would call it different, but feel he is right to be upset when called a "photographer" Perhaps "Graphic Artist" may better describe his works in my eye.

Charlie...............................
    Last edited by Charles Webb; 08-20-2006 at 12:27 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    My knowledge of Misha's work methods parallels that of Bill Shwab. Misha uses a pin registered easel in his work. I personally don't find any fault with his proficiency simply because it is more precise than my efforts.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin