Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,519   Posts: 1,543,770   Online: 879

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky
    No Donald - sorry for the confusion...! I thought (!) it would be an obvious response to mr. ham's comment - which, to me, seemed as though he took the photographs to be aimed at the shock/schlock market as he was comparing them to bodyworlds... and suggesting he'd seen more shocking stuff... which would (again, to me only perhaps) seem to be REALLY missing the point of Sommer's work.
    Actually, Sparky, it was you who quoted the term "F---ing sick" as a comment made by a contemporary of yours in the 1980's.

I simply stated that given The Bodies exhibitions - one would hardly characterize these photos (yes, espescially the dead coyotes) as "sick" nowadays.

What's really odd is how you construe a complementary comment - building on your own point - as an attack and then need to "go for the jugular".

How about this - you don't comment on anything I say here and I will do the same with regard to you. Deal?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham
    Actually, Sparky, it was you who quoted the term "F---ing sick" as a comment made by a contemporary of yours in the 1980's.

I simply stated that given The Bodies exhibitions - one would hardly characterize these photos (yes, espescially the dead coyotes) as "sick" nowadays.

What's really odd is how you construe a complementary comment - building on your own point - as an attack and then need to "go for the jugular".

How about this - you don't comment on anything I say here and I will do the same with regard to you. Deal?
    I deeply apologize if you had the impression I was "going for the jugular" - I just thought that maybe you perceived Sommer as something of a "shock artist" since you compared him to the exhibit in question - esp. in light of the witkin thread. I think that's sort of a problem with these forums and indeed the whole - text only format - it's sort of difficult to know where people are coming from and all subtlety is lost. At any rate - I just want you to know that I hadn't perceived it as an attack at ALL. Honestly. And the last thing I want to do is offend or alienate (though I suppose it wouldn't be the first time to transgress my own 'rule' - sometimes it can't be helped). Forgive me? It wasn't my intention.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Pretty landscapes, old barns, birds, kids etc. are all just fine but one of the things which has motivated my search for subject matter is the "visual surprise" that makes photographs really great and it doesn't need to have shock value to accomplish the objective. Fred Sommer definitely provides a visual surprise and his technical ability is unquestioned, some of today's greats learned from him..EC

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    His Arizona Landscapes did something for me, coming from Ansel Adams and his way of seeing landscapes. Just the fact that he excluded the sky and used a different angle made me stop and look a second time, trying to figure the photographs.

He seems to come somewhere "in-between" art and photography, a mixed-media artist with a sometimes abstract and introspective view of things. It has taken time for me to digest his works, but his landscapes and some of his paper cuts is really great stuff. The "Virgin and Child, St. Anne and Infant St. John" photograph reminds me of a "found objects" idea (such as Marcel Duchamps). The word "remix" comes to mind; he seemed to be aiming for making something new out of old and worn-out stuff. And some of it, just for doing it.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The conflict that the nun created in Aperture over the foot photo seems to have helped the mag gain some new readers at a time when it needed them. I personally don't mind the subject matter at all. One of Sommer's dead coyote pictures is one of my alltime favorites. Death is just as much a part of existence as pretty sunsets and Cornish beaches. I'm a little confused by people who are upset by pictures. They are just pictures after all.

Sommer to me seems to be one of those artists who pays extremely close attention to the construction and placement of every single detail in the frame. Even pictures of garbage come alive and are turned into objects of beauty when treated in this fashion.

Best,

Will
    "I am an anarchist." - HCB
    "I wanna be anarchist." - JR

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just ran across this quote from Minor White:

"Art traditionally claims a concern with man's pure impulses and clean motives, yet many a contemporary psychologist thinks that all this is pure hokum. So do some photographers. And in protest and in truth, in soul searching and awareness of our self-destroying age, many people in contemporary art, notably Frederick Sommer in contemporary photography, present images which are intended in such a particular way that if the viewer engages the images at all, then the viewer will see something of himself. If what he sees is unpleasant, that there may be some truth in that some part of himself is unpleasant—if dirty, morbid and so onà If he is struck with terror, perhaps he has met something worthy of his fear. If he finds something magnificent, it is because something beautiful in him has been magnified."

whole article at http://elmo.academyart.edu/study/ph1...quivalence.htm
    "I am an anarchist." - HCB
    "I wanna be anarchist." - JR

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    A marvelous photographer. I admire everything of his I've ever seen. The portrait of Max Ernst is probably the least intestesting of all his works, and I still love it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Will S
    Sommer to me seems to be one of those artists who pays extremely close attention to the construction and placement of every single detail in the frame.
    ...as well should we all. The photographer is responsible for 100% of the image area. If you change anything about Sommer's photographs they fall apart compositionally, just as would _Le Sacre du Printemps_ or ee cummings' poetry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not very aware of much of Sommer's work but what I've seen seems evocative and thought-provoking (if that's not the same thing - don't think it is quite...).
    Cate

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin