Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,534,925   Online: 864

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    Doesn't float my boat.

Pictures of fat tourists holidaying in the Mediterranean, Black Sea or where ever doesn't do much for me.

Michael
    Parr did his as a sort of social critique - from that perspective his were kind of engaging. I don't really know enough about this photographer's work to really make any sort of serious comment - at least I feel that the sort of work begs some study.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    This image certainly borrows from imagery used by Parr, Boris Mikhailov, Weegee, and others, but I guess the question is whether she does something new with it. I think she does.

Parr was looking at a certain kind of middle and working class leisure, and Mikhailov was layering that sort of imagery on the backdrop of environmental decay in the late Soviet Ukraine.

Mielnikiewicz is also using the diagonal of High Stalinist graphics (whether deliberately or unconsciously--the ship is level with the horizon, so the camera is tilted), which once represented the heroic march into the future--

but now it's the rusting hulk of a ship that was once a floating bar, when Abkhazia was more of an elegant tourist destination in a Soviet sort of way. This is about Russians who still think of Abkhazia as a tourist spot in spite of the poverty and decay and the dissolution of the Soviet empire, and it's a good vignette of post-Soviet life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interesting observation David. I did a class in film aesthetics about a thousand years - where they showed similar soviet propagandist posters and suggested that this diagonal motif was actually borrowed from another, earlier, soviet source - namely the cinematic stylings of Dziga Vertov and Sergei Eisenstein...
    Last edited by Sparky; 01-23-2008 at 01:15 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It was all part of the same phenomenon, happening in graphics, film, architecture, and photography.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd buy that for a dollar.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Eight red rectangles.

Shooter
    35mm
    There's a great sadness here. Abandonment and a kind of hopelessness pervades every photo. People making a poor best of a bad lot. Powerful stuff. I have been educated and enlightened. I can't say that about the work of a lot of the photographers so far featured.

Thanks David

pentaxuser

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree her work is powerful and empathetic and informative in a true photojournalistic sense, and is refreshing to see.
    Cate

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Some Rodchenko angles going here...thanks for posting

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    Doesn't float my boat.

Pictures of fat tourists holidaying in the Mediterranean, Black Sea or where ever doesn't do much for me.

Michael
    You do not understand the context of the image. These are tourists vacationing what was considered the Red Riviera but is now a destroyed capital of an unrecognized republic in a conflict zone. The image cleverly reveals the irony of the situation. I think calling it a "picture of fat tourists" does the photographer an injustice.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin