Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,702   Posts: 1,548,424   Online: 1022

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Images

Discuss an Andre kertesz Photograph

http://www.nga.gov/exhibitions/2005/...tesz_ss18.shtm

I can never get attachments to show up. SOrry

This is truely and amazing photograph. I was wondering what others had to say about it.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A really well-seen picture. The placing of the two figures is perfect.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very interesting image.

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kertesz_ss18.jpg  
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Reminds me of the simplicity of a grandma moses painting. Uncluttered yet plenty to look at and explore. The more you look at tie more you pick up the complexity of the image. I went through the link David gave us about the man. I was amazed to discover that almost every photo he had in that series of 20 photos had a person somewhere in it. He was very good at incorporating the human element in everyday scenes to enhance the warmth of it. Just my opinion.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The ol' view from the artist's window gambit--I know it well. You can set up in all kinds of light and just wait for things to move into place.

Also, note the image size in the original link--about 4x5". Kertesz usually printed small, often contact prints.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, it's a reasonably well-composed photograph, I'd say. It's got an OKAY to pretty good overall composition - but it keeps the eye busy. There's interest all over.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I find it very graceful, and not busy at all. It keeps all the elements well-separated, and the curves complement each other. It's very nice to see a true winter picture after so many weeks of heat wave. The perspective is somewhat odd, very stretched vertically. Reminds me of a scroll painting; people walking on top of trees. The effect is that the picture depth looks very shallow, as if everything was on the surface of the paper.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Here's some background on the image and Kertesz's 12th floor apartment overlooking the park--

http://www.berry-hill.com/exhibition...l/kertesz.html

(note that the gallery is selling a later 8x10" print)
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Oh no, another one of those "wintertime" classics that lead me to think all the good shots have already been made!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kertesz is one of the greatest. (IMHO). His images always seem to be a bit lyrical and while often very simple on the surface the compositions and framing of the scene are pretty complex. Most of his best work always seems to contain a human element or the feeling tha someone is present, just outside of the frame of the image.

In this image I always liked how there is a line of trees that make a nice diagonal across the image with that diagonal being supported by the gracefully curving fence at the bottom and the lighter curving path above that line of trees.

It very much keeps in step with modern ideas of painting at the time, flattening the scene, eliminating the impression of depth and distance.

The two people walking seperate paths, maybe oblivious to each other adds the final touch.

Nothing really deeper to it then a beautifully recognized composition of toanlity and form.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin