Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,963   Posts: 1,558,363   Online: 813

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Discuss a Melanie Manchot photograph

Melanie Manchot is a photographer who interests me, especially her work in the Ukraine, and also her pictures of her ageing mother.

I've included a link with a bit of text as well as pictures - it was the images of her mother I was firstly most interested in hearing people's views about.

To me it addresses the whole concept of 'the female nude' in a rather different way...

http://photo.box.sk/about.php3?id=26

Cate

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My first thought: Jo Spence's work from twenty years ago, but with artsy effects which I really don't like. Sorry.

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen B
    My first thought: Jo Spence's work from twenty years ago, but with artsy effects which I really don't like. Sorry.

Best,
    Helen
    You don't have to apologise! I'm quite impartial about it - just interested in peoples' responses.
    I think Jo Spence's work was wonderful - but maybe a bit different in that she was documenting her disease aswell, which made took it onto another level a bit (more complex maybe, and possibly more profound).

There was one of Manchot's mother which I did like which was put on a billboard, can't find it just at the moment but will try....
    Cate

Shooter
    35mm
    My carefully considered response: Phooey.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    My carefully considered response: Phooey.
    Care to elucidate?

Do you mean her pictures or her words?

I think it may be a case of her pics working better without words.....and I wasn't so impressed by her 'kissing project'; but found her pics of her mother interesting...

BTW I heard her speak in 'real life' and she comes over as a thoughtful, sincere, and quite 'ordinary' (in the best sense) kind of person....perhaps not as pretentious as this article makes her sound....

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I found it quite disgusting.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Disgusting seems to be the wrong word here, and I'm not sure her use of it adds to the work. I think exploring the female form that's not "ideal" is a good place to think about aging, and mortality. But, as said above, this work is a little too "arty", and ultimately, tries to hide that form. Why? When, and not to put too fine a point on it, many of us may in fact have such figures

Is aging, and mortality disgusting? Hope not... we are all careening quickly in that direction. I just wish this work were executed more beautifully, and less muddily. It might be more provacative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne Revy
    Is aging, and mortality disgusting? Hope not... we are all careening quickly in that direction. I just wish this work were executed more beautifully, and less muddily. It might be more provacative.
    It's funny because I actually hadn't seen these works before I posted them, and I agree there's something about the black and white......the others I've seen are in colour, taken with quite bright lighting and couldn't be called 'muddy'; anyway, quite different. Though I wouldn't call these 'disgusting' in any way and didn't think before that she would have done ....maybe I'm not searching effectively but I can't get one of the colour ones to link....

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne Revy
    Disgusting seems to be the wrong word here, and I'm not sure her use of it adds to the work.
    Perhaps, but it is my opinion of her work.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Disgusting? Yes. Too arty? Yes.

Joyce Tennyson does a much better job, and a more honest job, of the same concept.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin