Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,291   Posts: 1,535,443   Online: 843

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I think he was working for Life magazine at this time.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Certainly has a feel of the time about it. Screams 50s at you..... Cowboys in flat caps though ? Now there,s a twist !

Regards, John.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sorensen
    I guess I couldn't help but wondering what they were thinking of the photographer taking their picture. I sure feel like I am an outsider in their world when I look at them in the photo, and none too welcome.

It's hard to say. knowing that Parks is African-American makes me think I see a little bit of sneering contempt in a couple of the youths expressions. But they may have shown a little contempt for any outsider or "city slciker" in their neck of the woods.

What a talented person. I am always amazed when I think of what a life Parks had and all he accomplished, especially early in his career when he woulde have faced tremendous odds against success due to racisim.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's a great photo, and yes - those guys do look like they could be a bit lary - giving us a sense of being in Parks' shoes....Or as you say, any city slicker or maybe anyone in town not in their tribe. I can't help feeling the racial undertones, though. Could just aswell have been Teddy-boys on a street corner in Britain at the same time, it really gets the mood of the youth pack.. Scary for outsiders, but especially those who aren't white...
    Cate

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin