Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,119   Online: 907

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Poor Che. I read his diaries in the '60s and kinda felt sorry for the poor bastard. Wandering around in the jungles, trying to keep the revolution going while good old Fidel was setting himself up in Havana, exploiting him as a symbol. Ain't it a kick in the ass to realize politics--and politicians--mostly just float in the sewer, no matter what side they're on?

Photography-wise, it's just a portrait that has become an icon. The original horizontal photo was improved with the vertical crop. Korda probably got sick of telling the story and watching the picture get turned into a marketing ploy. Good for him that he finally got a few bucks for the photo but, really, no one outside the photo-crowd knows (or rcares) who made the photo. I look at it and remember how naive and idealistic I was before I realized how bullshit rules, walks and talks in the scheme of things.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Remember the Maine

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Korda died not long ago - and as I recall - in the obits it was noted that he used Tri-X for the shot.

Hey, when you need basic B&W - go with the best!

There was a showing at ICP a while ago that displayed the "progression" of this photo from an original news-like pic to a "glorification" of a dead revolutionary to a 1960's and 1970's lithographic icon and on to a current day advertising brand!

Right now they mainly use the image on T-shirts and stuff. But one more generational turn and it will be possible to use Korda's "Che" on a mainstream brand item and it will rival the Coca Cola signature!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Revolutionary icon to advertising brand...

I would love to have seen that showing at the ICP.

I knew I was getting old when I heard on the Boston radio stations commercials for the Boston NASL team "The Revolution", playing the Jefferson Airplane's song "Volunteers" ("...Got a revolution, got to revolution...") from the album of the same name.

A song calling for revolution is now being used to promote a soccer (excuse me, Europeans, a football) team. You younger folks should expect "Rage Against the Machine" to be used to sell socks in the future....

If you have the DVD set "Adventures In photography", you'll see Korda describing the taking of this photograph.

(Grumpy old man now limps off, stage left.)

Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham
    There was a showing at ICP a while ago that displayed the "progression" of this photo from an original news-like pic to a "glorification" of a dead revolutionary to a 1960's and 1970's lithographic icon and on to a current day advertising brand!

Right now they mainly use the image on T-shirts and stuff. But one more generational turn and it will be possible to use Korda's "Che" on a mainstream brand item and it will rival the Coca Cola signature!
    "I bought a new camera. It's so advanced you don't even need it." - Steven Wright

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin